New Manor Farm moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011891 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 22:01:05.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Halton (Unitary Authority)
- Preston Brook
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 58049 80391
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The monument is a well preserved example of the site of a late medieval moated manor house and will retain considerable archaeological evidence of the original manor house beneath the present buildings and lawns. Additionally the waterlogged moat and well will preserve organic material.
New Manor Farm moated site includes an island surrounded by a waterlogged
moat. The island measures c.67m x 52m and contains New Manor farmhouse at its
centre with lawns, gardens and a cobbled access drive leading from a bridge
across the E arm. A second bridge crosses the W arm. A waterlogged well lies
adjacent to the S of the house. The moat varies in width, averaging c.8m x
1.3m deep, but widens at all corners except the NW. There is an intermittent
retaining wall up to 0.3m high lining much of the island. Building
foundations are known to lie beneath the lawns and gardens.
The New Manor manor house was built in 1526 for John Dutton, an illegitimate
son of the Dutton family, the local landowners from the reign of King John
until 1705. The house was rebuilt at an unspecified date.
New Manor farmhouse, an outhouse, a timber hut, an area of sandstone blocks,
all service pipes and a sewage system beneath two flagged areas in the N lawn,
a wall adjoining the SW corner of the house and all fences are excluded from
the scheduling. The ground beneath all these features, however, is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Mr Riley (Site Owner), To Robinson, K.D. MPPFW, (1990)
Photocopy supplied by site owner, Untitled information researched by local historian,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing