This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site and fishpond S of Huntington Hall

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site and fishpond S of Huntington Hall

List entry Number: 1012080

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Huntington

County:

District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Saighton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 14-Dec-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Mar-1991

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13417

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site and fishpond S of Huntington Hall survives well. The earthworks are well defined and the monument is of high archaeological potential due to the continued waterlogging and silting of much of the moat and fishpond providing conditions favourable to the preservation of organic remains. Additionally the monument is important because it represents a moat of sub-manorial status in the same parish as the larger moat and manorial centre at Huntington Old Hall.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The moated site S of Huntington Hall includes a square island 65-70m across surrounded by a well defined moat up to 2.3m deep that is wet for over half its perimeter. A silted fishpond lies close to the NE corner of the moat. Most moats were constructed between 1250-1350 and are generally seen as the prestigious residences of the Lords of the manor. The moat marked the high status of the occupier, but also served to deter casual raiders and wild animals. Internally the island displays a well preserved inner bank little damaged by the shallow ridge and furrow cultivation which crosses the site. A later pond, now dry, lies close to the SE corner of the island. Externally an outer bank runs around the N and E sides, being most prominent at the NE corner where it has been cut by a channel to allow movement of water between the presently silted fishpond and the moat. Access to the island was gained by a causeway across the E arm of the moat that is still in use as a public footpath. In medieval times, Huntington was owned by the church and had land confirmed in 1093 to the Benedictine monks of St Werburgh. All field boundaries running along the inner edge of the ditch are excluded from the scheduling, but the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ormerod, , History of Cheshire, (1882)
Ormerod, G, 'History Of Cheshire' in The History of Cheshire, , Vol. 2, (1819)
Other
Capstick, B., FMW report, (1988)
Cheshire SMR RN 1945/1/1,
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1988)
HBMC, SAM CH 123,

National Grid Reference: SJ 42953 61998

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 05:43:02.

End of official listing