This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Hall Bank moated site, Wybunbury

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Hall Bank moated site, Wybunbury

List entry Number: 1012118

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wybunbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 14-Nov-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 22-May-1991

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13438

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The monument at Hall Bank is in a good state of preservation unencumbered by modern building. It possesses considerable archaeological potential for the recovery of evidence of structural foundations of the building that originally occupied the island. Additionally the embanked access causeway is a rare and unusual feature associated with this class of monument. Of particular importance, however, is its close proximity to a second moated site which also survives well. Such close proximity is unusual for this class of monument.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument known as Hall Bank lies E of St Chad's church and is a well preserved moated site approached by a long earthen causeway. The site consists of a raised island c.60m square upon which is an L-shaped scarp defining an elevated area interpreted as marking the position of the original hall. A dry moat up to 12m wide x 1-2m deep surrounds the island, and a wide outer bank encircling the moat has outlet channels cut through it at the SW and SE corners. An unusual feature at this site is a substantial raised causeway c.9m wide approaching from the W and leading to the outer edge of the moat from where a bridge or drawbridge would have provided access into the interior. A second moated site of similar form lies 200m to the SW. Most moats were constructed between 1250-1350 and are generally seen as the prestigious residences of the Lords of the manor. The moat in such circumstances marked the high status of the occupier, but also served to deter casual raiders and wild animals. All field boundaries are excluded from the scheduling, however, the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
Capstick, B., FMW Report, (1986)
Cheshire SMR, No. 183/3,
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Saunders, AD, AM7, (1968)

National Grid Reference: SJ 70266 49857

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012118 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 03:02:55.

End of official listing