Half Moat Manor House, moated site and associated leat, Cheshunt.
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1012163
Date first listed: 18-Aug-1954
Date of most recent amendment: 01-Jun-1992
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012163 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2019 at 18:09:57.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Broxbourne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TL 34580 02517
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or, seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigniorial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England. and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The Half Moat Manor site is a particularly fine example of a single island enclosure. It survives in very good condition and has high potential for the preservation of both wet and dry deposits within the interior and surrounding ditch. The value of the site is enhanced by the existence of historical records relating to its occupation and use. The presence of other nearby medieval buildings including the church and Cheshunt Great House and moat, gives the site added significance through contemporary association.
The monument includes the remains of a moated enclosure and associated
overflow ditch. The site which survives in very good condition is considered
to be the remains of the medieval Cheshunt Manor. The moat measures some
75m square including the surrounding water filled ditches which measure some
7m across. The remains of brick arches abutting the ditch on the east side
indicate where the original bridge was located. Other fragments of brickwork
show that the inner edge of the ditch was supported by walls along its
length. The outlines of buildings and features are visible within the
interior. On the east side of the moat a wide leat linked to a smaller ditch
joins an outer arrangement of ditches. Additional earthworks are also
visible to the west of the moat. These include banks, ditches and a pond,
linked to the moat by a small leat.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 11521
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
From 1782-5, (1782)
Edwards, , Cheshunt in Herts, (1974), 87
Richardson, Plan of the Manor of Cheshunt, (1676)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing