This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Upend Wood moated site, outer enclosure and fishpond, Stagsden

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Upend Wood moated site, outer enclosure and fishpond, Stagsden

List entry Number: 1012207

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bedford

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Stagsden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 17-Oct-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 11559

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often, or seasonally, water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings or, in some cases, which were used for horticulture. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the Medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England, and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of Medieval monument and are important for understanding the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains. The moated complex at Upend Wood is a particularly early site dating to the 11th century. It survives in excellent condition and displays a diversity of features including a fishpond and outer enclosure. The significance of the site is increased by its apparent Royal association with Bishop Odo, brother of William the Conqueror.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a Medieval moated complex believed to be the site of an early 11th century Royal manor. The monument survives in very good condition. The moated site is irregular in shape with external dimensions of approximately 105m by 180m inclusive of the 8-12m wide dry surrounding moat. An external bank flanks the east arm, with sections of an inner bank surviving along the south-west and south-east arms. A 10m long leat runs from the centre of the enclosure into the south arm. A 20m section of the west arm may have been backfilled when the adjacent field pond was constructed. The interior of the moated island is level with occasional scatters of stone visible on the surface. The north-east angle of the moat is enlarged to form a rectangular pond, measuring some 30m by 20m. The pond is considered to be the remains of a contemporary fishpond. A triangular ancillary enclosure is attached to the south- east angle of the moat, measuring some 50m by 30m in external dimensions. Adjacent to the east arm of the moat are the remains of an outer moated enclosure. The enclosure is rectangular in shape measuring some 125m by 30m and is defined by a 6m wide moat to the east and by the moated enclosure and triangular enclosure to the south and west. The north side is defined by a leat or drain. Entrance to the outer enclosure is provided by a 3m wide causeway at its south-east corner. A small mound measuring 5m across and over 2m high is located immediately inside the causeway and may be the location of a defensive building or structure. An inner bank also protects the south and east ends of the enclosure at this point.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Steele-Elliott, , 'BHRS' in BHRS, , Vol. 8, (1924), 4
Other
Letter. SMR ref 2, Hagen, A, (1972)

National Grid Reference: SP 96598 49158

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2017 at 05:18:44.

End of official listing