This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two round cairns 1.38km WSW of Tresellern Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two round cairns 1.38km WSW of Tresellern Farm

List entry Number: 1012212

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Altarnun

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 17-Feb-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 15188

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bodmin Moor, the largest of the Cornish granite uplands, has long been recognised to have exceptional preservation of archaeological remains. The Moor has been the subject of detailed archaeological survey and is one of the best recorded upland landscapes in England. The extensive relict landscapes of prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval date provide direct evidence for human exploitation of the Moor from the earliest prehistoric period onwards. The well-preserved and often visible relationship between settlement sites, field systems, ceremonial and funerary monuments as well as later industrial remains provides significant insights into successive changes in the pattern of land use through time. Round cairns are funerary monuments covering single or multiple burials and dating to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They were constructed as mounds of earth and stone rubble up to 40m in external diameter but usually considerably smaller; a kerb of edge-set stones sometimes bounds the edges of the mound. Burials were placed in small pits, or on occasion within a box-like structure of stone slabs called a cist, let into the old ground surface or dug into the body of the cairn. Round cairns can occur as isolated monuments, in small groups or in larger cemeteries. Their considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provides important information on the diversity of beliefs, burial practices and social organisation in the Bronze Age. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of preservation.

These round cairns on East Moor have survived substantially intact, with only limited and well-defined disturbance by the late 19th century excavation, whose published record increases our knowledge of these cairn's features. The proximity of this cairn to other broadly contemporary settlement sites demonstrates well the nature of ritual activities and the organisation of land use during the Bronze Age.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes two Prehistoric round cairns situated on the southern edge of East Moor on eastern Bodmin Moor, and positioned close to other broadly contemporary cairns and settlement sites. The two cairns are separated by a gap of 4.5m on a NNW-SSE axis. Each cairn survives as a turf-covered circular mound of heaped granite rubble. The northern cairn is 9m in diameter and 1m high. A limited excavation during the late 19th century, by the antiquary Baring-Gould, has produced a narrow trench, 1m wide and up to 0.5m deep, running in from the cairn's southern edge and leading to a central hollow 2.2m in diameter and 0.7m deep. The sides of the trench reveal the mound's densely packed rubble comprising small slabs up to 0.3m across. The larger southern cairn is 11.75m in diameter and 1.3m high. It was also subject to excavation by Baring-Gould, producing a trench 1.7m wide and up to 0.7m deep, running in from the cairn's south-eastern edge and rising towards the centre of the mound, without any distinct central hollow. This trench reveals a similar rubble make-up to the other cairn. Baring-Gould records that his excavation of one of these cairns revealed a peripheral kerb and a central granite cist, a slab-built box-like structure, containing ashes and burnt bone.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Baring-Gould, Rev S, 'Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall' in , , Vol. 11, (1891), 290
Other
Consulted 3/1992, Carter, A/RCHME, 1:2500 AP transcription for SX 2276,
Consulted 3/1992, Cornwall SMR entries for PRN 1017; 1018.2; 1062,
Consulted 3/1992, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1057.1,
Consulted 3/1992, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1057.2,

National Grid Reference: SX 22349 76338

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 04:06:19.

End of official listing