This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Camp House moated site, moated outwork and connecting channels

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Camp House moated site, moated outwork and connecting channels

List entry Number: 1012330

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hornby-with-Farleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 04-Jul-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Feb-1991

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13405

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often seasonally waterfilled, which partly or completely enclosed one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or ecclesiastical buildings or which, in some cases, were used for horticulture. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between 1250-1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. Moated sites were built throughout the Medieval period, however, are widely scattered across England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of Medieval monument and play an important part in understanding the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of normally- perishable organic remains. Camp House moated site, moated outwork and connecting channels survives well, the earthworks being particularly evident. The monument displays a diversity of components which include two moated sites, one of very small size, interconnected by channels for water management. Both moated sites and channels survive relatively undisturbed and possess considerable potential for the recovery of archaeological details of their original form and constructional remains. The channels linking the two sites will also preserve details of the original inter-relationship of the two moated sites.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The site comprises a main moated site consisting of a rectangular island surrounded by a flat-bottomed marshy moat which in turn is surrounded by an outer shallow channel. A hollow way runs from the northeast corner of the main moat to the main road 300m to the east. Some 90m north of the northwest corner of the island is a moated outwork consisting of a small island surrounded by a shallow moat. This outwork is connected by a short length of ditch to a system of channels linking the main moated site with a channel of the River Lune 350m to the northeast. Moated sites are generally seen as the prestigious residences of the Lords of the manor. The moat in such circumstances marked the high status of the occupier, but also served to deter casual raiders and wild animals. Most moats were constructed between 1250-1350. The main moat is well defined, predominantly dry but containing some marshy areas. Masonry foundations occupy part of the island and earthworks project into or are located within the moat. Outer banks are found on all sides. The moated outwork and connecting channels are dry as is the outer shallow channel. The sum of the evidence suggest that this monument is an unusual example of its type. The fence to the east of the main moated site is not included in the scheduling, neither is a drainage trench and drain aligned NW-SE that crosses the monument close to its W corner, or a second drainage trench and drain running below the moated outwork's NW arm. The ground beneath the fence, drainage trenches and drains, however, is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Other
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Date : 7-4-1990, Mr Goth (site excavator), Contrebis (forthcoming), (1990)
Lancs SMR, PRN 556 AP.N-674,

National Grid Reference: SD 57198 67562

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012330 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2018 at 12:12:19.

End of official listing