This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Hengi-form monument in Fargo Plantation south of The Cursus

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Hengi-form monument in Fargo Plantation south of The Cursus

List entry Number: 1012402

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Amesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 10-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 01-May-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 10363

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

A small number of areas in southern England appear to have acted as foci for ceremonial and ritual activity during the Neolithic and Bronze Age periods. Two of the best known and the earliest recognised areas are around Avebury and Stonehenge, now jointly designated as a World Heritage Site. The area of chalk downland which surrounds Stonehenge contains one of the densest and most varied groups of Neolithic and Bronze Age field monuments in Britain. Included within the area are Stonehenge itself, the Stonehenge cursus, the Durrington Walls henge, and a variety of burial monuments, many grouped into cemeteries. The area has been the subject of archaeological research since the 18th century when Stukeley recorded many of the monuments and partially excavated a number of the burial mounds. More recently, the collection of artefacts from the surfaces of ploughed fields has supplemented the evidence for ritual and burial by revealing the intensity of contemporary settlement and land-use. In view of the importance of the area, all ceremonial and sepulchral monuments of this period which retain significant archaeological remains are identified as nationally important.

Hengi-form monuments are ritual or ceremonial monuments which date to the Late Neolithic period (2800-2000 BC). They were constructed as roughly circular enclosures, usually comprising a flat area between 5m and 20m in diameter enclosed by a ditch and external bank. Either a single entrance or two opposed entrances, as in this example, provided access to the interior of the monument, which may have contained a variety of features including pits, post holes, cremation pits and burials. Hengi-form monuments occur throughout England with the exception of the south western and south eastern counties. They are generally situated on gravel terraces or on hill slopes. They are rare nationally with about 40-50 known examples. The hengi-form monument within Fargo Plantation south of the Cursus is known from partial excavation to contain archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a hengi-form monument situated within Fargo Plantation south of the Cursus. Prior to tree planting the area had views across a shallow combe towards Stonehenge and Normanton Down. The hengi-form monument is in the form of a ditched earthwork, roughly oval in shape, enclosing an area 4m across. The ditch is c.1.5m wide and is interrupted by two causeways aligned roughly north-south. The ditch surrounds a slightly sunken central area, and examination of the ditch fills during partial excavation indicated that there may have originally been an outer bank. The overall diameter as originally constructed will have been c.15m. None of the earthworks are now visible on the surface, probably as a result of the preparation of the area for afforestation. Partial excavation in 1938 revealed a grave in the centre, containing an inhumation with a beaker and three cremations. A fourth cremation was found close to the inner edge of the ditch. Small pits or post holes were found near the north and south corners of the grave.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 5 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Grinsell, LV, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume V, (1957), 28
RCHME, , Stonehenge and its Environs, (1979), 7
Stone, J F S, 'Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine' in An Early Bronze Age Grave in Fargo Plantation near Stonehenge, , Vol. 48, (1939), 357-70

National Grid Reference: SU 11250 42795

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 05:35:34.

End of official listing