Ingrave Farm moated site, moated site 100m W of Ingrave Farm and connecting channel, Eccleston
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012502.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2020 at 10:11:25.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Chorley (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 51264 18200
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The site at Ingrave Farm is a rare and unusual example of paired moats. Despite recent infilling work the main moated enclosure is well preserved and will retain considerable information relating to its original construction and use. Of particular note are the waterlogged conditions in the main moat in which organic remains will be well preserved. Despite infilling, the position of the second moat is still evident and the linking channel will preserve evidence of the original inter-relationship of the two sites.
The monument at Ingrave Farm comprises two moated sites linked by a
waterlogged connecting channel.
The larger of the two moats surrounds Ingrave Farm, and despite recent partial
infilling along its E side and part of its S side, it remains an impressive
and well preserved waterlogged example measuring up to 15m wide x 2m deep from
the top of the outer bank to the present water level. 100m to the W, and
linked to the larger moat by a waterlogged channel, is a smaller moated site
measuring c.25m x 25m overall, the moat of which is now infilled but remains
visible as a shallow depression surrounding a raised platform. The site is
one of only two known examples of paired moats in Lancashire.
Ingrave Farm, its farmyard, outbuildings and all field boundaries are excluded
from the scheduling. The ground beneath all these features, however, is
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Farrer, , Brownbill, , The Victoria History of the County of Lancashire, (1907)
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Olivier, A.C.H., Lancs. SMR PRN 864 N224 N221,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing