Long barrow north of Lamborough Lane
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1012516
Date first listed: 11-Oct-1990
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012516 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2019 at 14:09:51.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Winchester (District Authority)
Parish: Bramdean and Hinton Ampner
National Park: SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference: SU 59270 28395
Reasons for Designation
Long barrows were constructed as earthen or drystone mounds with flanking
ditches and acted as funerary monuments during the Early and Middle Neolithic
periods (3400-2400 BC). They represent the burial places of Britain's early
farming communities and, as such, are amongst the oldest field monuments
surviving visibly in the present landscape. Where investigated, long barrows
appear to have been used for communal burial, often with only parts of the
human remains having been selected for interment. Certain sites provide
evidence for several phases of funerary monument preceding the barrow and,
consequently, it is probable that long barrows acted as important ritual sites
for local communities over a considerable period of time. Some 500 long
barrows are recorded in England. As one of the few types of Neolithic
structure to survive as earthworks, and due to their comparative rarity, their
considerable age and their longevity as a monument type, all long barrows are
considered to be nationally important.
The 180 long barrows of Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset form the densest and one of the most important concentrations of monuments of this type in the country. This example is regarded as important as, despite limited excavation, it survives particularly well.
The monument includes a long barrow, surviving as an earthwork, set across a
gentle south-facing slope 500m NE of the river Itchen. The barrow mound is
orientated ENE-WSW and is rectangular in plan with maximum dimensions of 69m
long by 36m wide at the centre where it stands to a height of 1.7m. Flanking
quarry ditches run parallel to the north and south sides of the mound and
survive to a width of between 5 and 7.5m. Both appear as shallow earthwork
features and areas of darker earth.
Partial excavation of the NE quadrant of the mound in 1944 revealed a flat
bottomed ditch 6m wide and 2.4m deep. Finds from the excavation included a
sherd of Neolithic pottery, flint flakes and animal bones.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 12111
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Godwin, G N, The Civil War in Hampshire, (1904)
Milner, A B, Some Earthworks in Mid-Hampshire, (1944)
Smith, I F , Long Barrows in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1979)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing