This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Whitwick Castle

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Whitwick Castle

List entry Number: 1012555

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 26-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Sep-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 17070

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Motte castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain by the Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the motte, surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. In a majority of examples an embanked enclosure containing additional buildings, the bailey, adjoined the motte. Motte castles and motte-and-bai1ey castles acted as garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal administration. Built in towns, villages and open countryside, motte castles generally occupied strategic positions dominating their immediate locality and, as a result, are the most visually impressive monuments of the early post-Conquest period surviving in the modern landscape. Over 600 motte castles and motte-and-bailey castles are recorded nationally, with examples known from most regions. Some 100-150 examples do not have baileys and are classified as motte castles. As one of a restricted range of recognised early post-Conquest monuments, they are particularly important for the study of Norman Britain and the development of the feudal system. Although many were occupied for only a short period of time, motte castles continued to be built and occupied from the 11th to the 13th centuries, after which they were superseded by other types of castle.

The castle at Whitwick survives in good condition and will retain archaeological evidence of buildings within the interior. Royal associations and important documentary information make the site an above average example of its type in Leicestershire.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The motte and bailey castle is situated on an oval-shaped natural hill at the junction of two streams within the small north-west Leicestershire town of Whitwick. The bailey of the castle is formed by the natural rise of the hill and occupies an area measuring approximately 100m x 35m, rising 7-8m from the surrounding land. The scarp is steepest on the eastern side where the hill falls away to the Grace Dieu Brook. The motte is a small circular mound situated in the centre of the hill rising to about 2m in height. The castle was held by the Earl of Leicester in the middle of the 12th century and had come into royal hands by 1204 when King John installed William de Senevill as keeper. By the 14th century it was in the hands of the Earls of Lancaster when Henry Beaumont had licence to crenellate in 1321 and in 1331 he complained that the castle had been broken into. It thereafter fell into disrepair and by 1427 was described as `old and ruinous in which there are no buildings and worth nothing yearly'. At the end of the 18th century it was said that the foundations of the castle could still be seen and a wall was still visible on the north side in 1893. A row of cottages situated on the north side of the site and an approach drive to them are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cantor, L, 'Transactions of the Leicestershire Arch and Historical Society' in The Medieval Castles of Leicestershire (Volume 53), , Vol. 53, (1978), 38

National Grid Reference: SK 43586 16185

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012555 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 09:44:10.

End of official listing