Round barrow and L-shaped earthwork on Baildon Golf Course

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1012687

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1935

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Aug-1995

Map

Ordnance survey map of Round barrow and L-shaped earthwork on Baildon Golf Course
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:44:21.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Baildon

National Grid Reference: SE 14242 40691

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Rombalds Moor is an eastern outlier of the main Pennine range lying between the valleys of the Wharfe and the Aire. The bulk of this area of 90 sq km of rough moorland lies over 200m above sea level. The moor is particularly rich in remains of prehistoric activity. The most numerous relics are the rock carvings which can be found on many of the boulders and outcrops scattered across the moor. Burial monuments, stone circles and a range of enclosed settlements are also known. Round cairns are prehistoric funerary monuments dating to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They were constructed as stone mounds covering single or multiple burials. These burials may be placed within the mound in stone lined compartments called cists. In some cases the cairn was surrounded by a ditch. They are a relatively common feature of the uplands and are the stone equivalent of the earthen round barrows of the lowlands. Their considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. A substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Although this cairn is disturbed it retains much of archaeological importance, and important evidence of its form and location, and forms an important part of the prehistoric landscape on Baildon Moor. The adjacent earthwork is also well preserved. Information on its date, function and relationship to the adjacent barrow will be preserved.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a round barrow and an L-shaped earthwork which partly encloses the barrow. They are situated by the roadside on Baildon Golf Course, next to a small car park. The barrow is visible as a low bank forming an incomplete and irregular circle of c.13m diameter. The L-shaped bank is double, with a ditch between two banks. The banks forming the arms of the L-shape are c.5m wide, and 1m high. The long arm of the L is c.26m long, and the short arm is c.15m long. The ditch between the banks is c.1m deep from ground level, and c.5m wide. The total height difference between the base of the ditch and the top of the banks is c.2m. The exact function of this earthwork is not yet fully understood but it has some antiquity, being recorded from at least 1846.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 25411

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Colls, J M N, 'Archaeologia' in Early Remains Discovered in Yorkshire, , Vol. 31, (1846)
Colls, J M N, 'Archaeologia' in Early Remains Discovered in Yorkshire, , Vol. 31, (1846)
Colls, J M N, 'Archaeologia' in Early Remains Discovered in Yorkshire, , Vol. 31, (1846)

End of official listing