Two bowl barrows 400m north-west of Janesmoor Pond

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1012988

Date first listed: 27-Oct-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Dec-1990

Map

Ordnance survey map of Two bowl barrows 400m north-west of Janesmoor Pond
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 13:11:58.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Bramshaw

National Park: NEW FOREST

National Grid Reference: SU 24437 13779

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite partial excavation of the northern barrow mound, much of the monument remains intact and therefore has considerable archaeological potential.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes two bowl barrows set on a flat area of open New Forest heathland. The barrows are aligned north-south and separated by a distance of c.40m. The northern of the two barrows survives to a diameter of 23.5m, is 2.2m high and surrounded by a seasonally waterfilled ditch 3.2m wide and 0.5m deep. It was partially excavated in 1943 and produced a cremation buried beneath a turf mound capped by gravel. A concrete and brick structure 1m deep and built into the centre of the barrow mound is excluded from the monument. The southern mound is less distinct having been partially damaged by construction of an airfield. The mound has a diameter of c.16m and is 0.2m high. Surrounding the mound and surviving as a buried feature, is a silted ditch c.3m wide.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 12127

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Piggott, C M, 'Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society' in , , Vol. 9, (1943), 22

End of official listing