Medieval moated site and associated pillow mound, Wildwood Copse
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013034 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 11:56:15.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Waverley (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 05037 35290
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The example in Wildwood Copse exhibits good earthwork survival and a range of visible features, such as the inner and outer banks and the remains of the building. Unusually, the moated site is associated with a pillow mound. The continued waterlogging of the moat suggests that a variety of environmental evidence is likely to survive.
The moated site in Wildwood Copse includes a nearly-square moat with an outer
bank on the north, east and west sides and an inner bank on the south and east
sides. Within the moated area is a distinct mound which may represent the
remains of a building, while at the north-east corner lies a pillow mound
formerly used for breeding rabbits.
Moated sites are generally seen as the prestigious residences of the Lords of
the manor, the moat marking the high status of the occupier but also serving
to deter casual raiders and wild animals. Most moats were constructed in the
period to either side of 1300 AD, and it is to this period that the example in
Wildwood Copse is likely to date.
The inner and outer banks may originally have been continuous but survive only
partially today. The outer bank is particularly evident on the north-east
side where it appears to have been enlarged to form a pillow mound in which
rabbits were reared for food. Inside the moated area a hollow on the southern
side may indicate the location of a small fishpond, while a mound 18m long
which rises about 1m above the surrounding land probably marks the site of the
manor house since roofing tile and brick is visible on the surface here. The
stream which supplied the moat now flows through the re-cut southern moat arm
but leaves much of the original moat undisturbed.
The stream itself is excluded from the scheduling, but the moat beneath it is
included. All fencing within the scheduled area is also excluded from the
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Darvill, T C, MPP Single Monument Class Description - Warrens, (1988)
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1988)
Surrey Antiquity 691,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing