Moated site 380m SSW of Rosedale Farm


Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:


Ordnance survey map of Moated site 380m SSW of Rosedale Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 21:02:11.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 10920 42483

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 380m SSW of Rosedale Farm survives well as a whole, and although the smaller moat in the north eastern part of the monument has been infilled, it will survive as a buried feature and retain archaeological evidence relating to its construction and use. The earthworks of the larger moat remain intact, and the central island is unencumbered by modern building. The greater part of the moat has not undergone any recent disturbance and contains waterlogged deposits in which organic material, including evidence for the local environment in the past, will be preserved. The finds of pottery recorded from the central island are evidence that the monument retains archaeological deposits relating to occupation during the medieval period, and the probable association with Weybourne priory, the remains of which lie c.600m to the north east, give it additional interest. Deposits relating to earlier occupation of the site are likely to be preserved also within the protected area, as is shown by finds of pottery and other material dated to the Roman period.


The monument includes a moated site comprising the remains of two moated enclosures and associated features which are located in a field known as Hall Yards, on a platform on the hill slope overlooking Weybourne village, 450m to the north. The larger of the two moats is visible as an earthwork, to the north east of which lie the remains of the second, smaller moat and channels connecting the two. The modern Holt Road which runs c.40m to the east of the moats was known formerly as Hall Road, and the names of both the field and the road are evidence that this was at one time the site of a manor. The original Holt Road, which ran to the west, is now under plough, although the line can still be traced in the ploughsoil.

The larger moated site is roughly trapezoidal in plan, widest at the southern end, with overall dimensions of c.78m north-south by c.56m east-west. The central island, measuring c.50m north-south by a maximum 35m east-west, is surrounded by a spring fed moat which has become partly silted, but which still contains running water in the bottom and has a visible depth of c.1.5m. The southern, western, and eastern arms of the moat are c.10m wide at the top, with sloping sides, but the northern arm is much broader, measuring c.18m across and shelving very gradually on the outer, northern side. A modern field drain occupies the bottom of the eastern arm and issues from the north east corner.

A slight hollow in the ground surface externally adjacent to the north east corner marks the site of an extension of the northern arm which, according to a map of c.1700, projects eastwards for a distance of c.38m. The map, as recorded in a copy made c.1850 by William Bolding, a local antiquarian, also shows a narrower channel leading from the eastern end of this extension into the south east corner of the second, smaller moat c.15m to the north. These earthworks are now infilled, but will survive as buried features. The smaller moat, as recorded in the map, is approximately square in plan with a small central island and an outlet issuing eastwards from the north east corner. The overall dimensions are estimated to be c.35m square.

The protected area comprises two overlapping sub-rectangular elements containing the larger moat and the buried features to the north east of it, with maximum dimensions of 82m north-south by 60m east west, and 87m north- south by 60m east-west respectively. It includes a margin of 2m around the outer edges of the larger moat, considered essential for the support and protection of the monument, and a margin of up to 10m around the estimated line of the outer edges of the buried features, the precise location of which is uncertain.

Sherds of medieval pottery found during investigations on the island of the larger moated site are evidence for occupation of the site during that period, and finds of Roman pottery and other remains in the immediate vicinity testify to activity predating the construction of the moats.

The manor of Weybourne was granted to Weybourne priory by Sir Ralph Mainwaring at its foundation around the beginning of the 13th century, and was held by the priory until the suppression in 1536.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Lawson, AK, 6304: North Norfolk, Weybourne, (1979)
Middleton, P, (1994)
Title: Annotated copy of Map of c.1700 Source Date: 1850 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: ms record of local antiquities


This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].