Medieval moated site, fishpond and paddock boundary, Coldbridge Farm, Egerton
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013125 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 21:12:06.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Ashford (District Authority)
- Maidstone (District Authority)
- Boughton Malherbe
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 88375 47545, TQ 88494 47908
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The excellent preservation of the monument at Coldbridge Farm allows the diversity and complexity of fortified manor sites to be appreciated. Much of the original extent of the earthworks survives and the foundations of the original "castle" buildings on the island are reported to survive in the garden of the present house. The inner moat, although scoured on the west side, remains intact to the north and south and its wetness makes the survival of evidence of the climate and economy of the manor a strong likelihood. The associated paddock boundary is a rare survivor of a common form of livestock husbandry. Beneath the earthworks the original ground surface is likely to survive, further enhancing the archaeological potential.
The site of the scheduled monument is shown outlined in black and highlighted in red on the attached "Scheduled Monument" map extract. Note The Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map representation of this site depicts the fishpond legend in the wrong place. The fishpond is actually in the south- western corner of the monument and is not, as it is shown on the "Scheduled Monument" map extract in the south-eastern corner.
Coldbridge Farm moated site is one of the most complete examples of a
fortified manor house in the South-East. The main part of the site includes a
complete inner moat with its original causeway, a retaining bank on the north
side outside the inner moat, a large fishpond and a partial circuit of outer
moat. In addition there is a length of paddock boundary to the south which is
associated with the use of the moated manor.
Moated sites are usually seen as the prestigious residences of the Lords of
the Manor. The moat marked the high status of the occupier but also served to
deter casual raiders and wild animals. Coldbridge is an example of a moated
site with a strongly defensive function too. Most moats were constructed
between 1250 and 1350, but the example at Coldbridge is likely to have been
founded in the earlier 13th century as "Colebridge Manor" is mentioned during
the rein of Henry III.
The fishpond within the bounds of the outer moat provided fish for the table,
another sign of high status, while the paddock afforded security to the
animals kept there. The outer moat was never a complete wet circuit, the land
rising significantly to the south-east and the outer boundary of the moated
site here being marked by a slight bank and ditch. All of the standing
buildings on the site are excluded from the scheduling although the ground
beneath them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Gould, IC, The Victoria History of the County of Kent, (1908)
Guy, J, Kent Castles, (1980)
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Title: Ordnance Survey Illustration Card Map 1:2500 Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing