This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Medieval moated site, Chequer Court

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval moated site, Chequer Court

List entry Number: 1013145

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ash

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 22-Aug-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 12727

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Chequer Court is of particular importance because the moat survives essentially intact and only a small part of the moat island is affected by the presence of a later building. The site is also of high archaeological potential, both because the moat remains wet and therefore is likely to preserve normally perishable artefacts as well as evidence of the climate and economy of the manor, and because on the island the foundations of the original buildings are likely to be preserved as evidence of the organisation and development of the manor in the Middle Ages.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The moated site at Chequer Court, on the north-west side of Ash, comprises a generally wide and water-filled moat, each arm some 60m in length, which has an integral fishpond at the south-west corner and which defines an almost square moat island. The central part of the island is occupied by a house of 16th century origin which is listed Grade II and which is excluded from the scheduling, although the archaeological remains beneath the building are included. Moated sites are generally seen as the prestigious residences of the Lords of the Manor. The moat marked the high status of the occupier of the site, but also served to deter casual raiders and wild animals. Most moats were built between 1250 and 1350, and it is to this period that the example at Chequer Court is likely to date. The series of fishponds, or perhaps a silt trap and fishponds, evident at the south-west corner of the moat (which is the upstream side as is usual on such sites) would have provided fish for the table. A leat has been cut at the north-west corner of the moat to allow water from the moat to return to its natural stream course. The causeway which provides access to the site from the east is likely to preserve the position of the original entrance. All above ground structures on the moat island are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Other
07 Jan 1985, TR 25 NE 9, (1985)
Darvill, T, MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1989)
Listed buildings Vol. 1891 5/26,

National Grid Reference: TR 28197 59055

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013145 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 02:39:16.

End of official listing