Moated site and three fishponds at Ufton Nervet
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013176 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 21:07:07.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
- Ufton Nervet
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 63137 67324
Reasons for Designation
Around 6000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings or, in some cases, which were used for horticulture. A fishpond is one or more artificially created pools of slow moving fresh water for the purpose of cultivating, breeding or storing fish. Both are significant classes of monument in the Middle Ages and are important to understanding the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside as well as providing a valuable insight into aspects of the rural economy. Both provide conditions favourable to the survival of archaeological remains. Although both types of monument are common in England, relatively few survive in Berkshire. This example is particularly important as it survives well, maintains good historical documentation, is known to contain important archaeological features and represents a fine example of a combined moat and fishpond water- management complex.
The monument comprises a complex including a moated site and three
associated fish ponds 300m south- west of St. Peter's Church, Ufton
Nervet. All are aligned end-on from NNW-SSE, two fish ponds lying to
the south of the moat and one to the north. The moat has external
dimensions of 80m NW-SE by 60m NE-SW and contains no causeway. The
moat survives to a width of 10m and averages 3m deep. It is
seasonally water- filled, often to a depth of 1m. The island measures
35m NE-SW and 45m NW-SE and is lower than the land surrounding it.
The site was partially examined in the 19th century, revealing bridge
piles, a gateway and other foundations. The site was probably the
manor house of Ufton Robert, mentioned in 1333 as belonging to
William de Uffington. The northernmost fishpond measures 50m NW-SE by
30m NE- SW, the southernmost pond measures 45m NW-SE by 30m NE-SW and
the third pond is c. 30m square. The fishponds are water- filled and
vary in depth between 1 and 2m.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Sharp, M, History of Ufton Court, (1892), 30;73-4
Dennison, E and Darvill, T, HBMC Monument Class Description - Fishponds, 1988,
West Cambridgeshire, Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, An Inventory of Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire, (1968)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing