Oldbury Camp: an Iron Age fort at Oldbury-on-Severn
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013187 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 04:17:43.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 60939 92718, ST 61000 92831, ST 61123 92718
Reasons for Designation
The site is one of a small and poorly understood group of hillforts peripheral to a major group situated in the Cotswolds. The site is important because of its unusual character, lowland setting and its excellent condition. It also has evidence for continued use into the Roman and Medieval periods, the plan of the medieval village being largely determined by the plan and extent of the hillfort.
Oldbury Camp, also known as "The Toot", consists of a fort of probable Iron
Age date (1500-50 BC) with a double bank and ditch on its north and east sides
and a single bank to the west. At their highest, the inner and outer ramparts
stand to a height of 1.9m and 1.5m respectively. The site occupies a
strategic but low-lying prominence overlooking the Oldbury Pill some 200m to
the north. Traces of the inner rampart have been noted to the south of the
monument although these do not appear on the OS map. Instead the southern
half of the site is fronted by a large earthwork platform c.150m x 75m in
extent. This has been suggested as representing the remains of a wharf
structure although it is more likely the result of later agricultural activity
levelling the rampart in this area. The site continued in use beyond the Iron
Age; a considerable number of Roman coins have been recovered while the layout
of the medieval village was determined by the structure of the earlier fort.
All modern buildings are excluded from the scheduling; however, with the
exception of the ground beneath the new development south of Wisteria House,
the ground beneath these buildings is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Witts, G B, Archaeology handbook for Gloucestershire, (1883)
O'Neil, H, 'Trans Bristol Gloucs Archaeological Society' in Trans Bristol Gloucs Archaeological Society, , Vol. 93, (1974)
OSAD, ST 69 SW 1, (1968)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing