Bowl barrow 670m east of Rowbury Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013220 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 07:50:33.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 44503 75182
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
The Rowbury Farm barrow is important as it survives comparatively well, despite partial excavation, and ditch deposits and the buried ground surface remain intact. The site has considerable potential, for the recovery of archaeological and environmental remains.
The monument includes a bowl barrow of irregular shape situated on a
gentle south-facing slope. The barrow survives as a grass-mound
measuring 26m from east to west and 15m from north to south. It stands
to a height of 1.25m at the west end and 0.75m at the east end.
Although no longer visible at ground level, a ditch from which mound
material was quarried, surrounds the barrow. This has been infilled
over the years but survives as a buried feature c.3m wide. The barrow
was partially excavated in 1870 although only a quantity of charcoal
and ashes were found.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Palmer, Dr, 'Transactions of the Newbury and District Field Club' in Transactions of the Newbury and District Field Club, , Vol. 11, (1872), 16
Schofield, A J, Flint Flakes, (1989)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing