Bowl barrow 800m south-east of Barbury Barn
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1013310
Date first listed: 17-Feb-1927
Date of most recent amendment: 10-Oct-1991
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013310 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2019 at 00:56:19.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Ogbourne St. Andrew
National Grid Reference: SU 15466 74860
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite partial excavation of the Barbury Barn site and cultivation of the area of the surrounding ditch, much of the monument remains intact and survives comparatively well. It therefore has significant potential for the recovery of archaeological remains. The importance of the site is enhanced by the fact that numerous other barrow mounds survive in the area. These give an indication of the extent to which the area was settled during the Bronze Age period.
The monument includes a bowl barrow set at the head of a steep-sided dry
valley in an area of undulating chalk downland known as Marlborough Downs.
The barrow mound is 15m in diameter and stands to a height of 1m. A shallow
depression, 4m across and 0.2m deep, in the centre of the mound suggests
partial excavation of the site, probably in the late 19th century. A ditch,
from which mound material was quarried, surrounds the barrow mound. This is
no longer visible at ground level, having been infilled over the years, but
survives as a buried feature c.3m wide. The barrow mound has been used as a
dump for large sarsen blocks recovered from surrounding fields.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 12211
Legacy System: RSM
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing