Round barrow 300m WNW of Low Barn
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1013395
Date first listed: 23-Mar-1927
Date of most recent amendment: 15-Feb-1995
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013395 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2019 at 11:36:47.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: North Yorkshire
District: Harrogate (District Authority)
Parish: Hutton Conyers
National Grid Reference: SE 35185 73193
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Although partially altered by agricultural activity, this barrow is visible as a mound, retaining conditions for the preservation of features within and beneath the mound. Significant information about the original form, burials placed within it and evidence of earlier land use beneath the mound will be preserved. The monument is one of a group of closely associated barrows which are in turn associated with two earlier henge monuments. Similar associations between such monuments are known elsewhere in this part of the Vale of Mowbray. Such associations offer important scope for study of the development of burial practice and of continuity of use of ritual sites in the prehistoric period.
The monument includes a round barrow situated on undulating ground in the Vale
of Mowbray. It is one of a closely associated group of barrows grouped around
two earlier henge monuments.
Although altered by agricultural activity, this barrow is visible as a slight
mound standing 0.5m high. It is round in shape and is 15m in diameter. The
mound was surrounded by a ditch up to 3m wide which has become filled in over
the years and is no longer visible as an earthwork.
There is a wall crossing the southern edge of the monument which is excluded
from the scheduling, although the ground beneath is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 25573
Legacy System: RSM
Manby T G, The Lowlands and eastern Foothills, 1993,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing