Moated site at Cippenham Court
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013455 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 04:00:48.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Slough (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 95194 79767
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Although a large number of moated sites are known, relatively few survive in Berkshire. This example is particularly important as it survives well and is associated with a series of earthworks immediately adjacent to the moated site. The monument also has a good level of historical documentation as well as high potential for the recovery of archaeological remains.
The site of the scheduled monument is shown on the attached "MPP Scheduled Monument" map extract, outlined in black and highlighted in red and includes a 2m boundary around archaeological features to the north and south of the moat considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The monument includes a moated site and associated earthworks
situated adjacent to and to the east of Wood Lane. The moat, which
measures c.115m east-west by 100m north-south, is trapezoidal and
aligned WNW-ESE with a causeway to the west. The ditch varies between
10 and 15m in width, has an average depth of 1.5m and encloses an
island some 75m square. A pronounced inner bank (c.1.2m high)
encloses a level interior with vague depressions and banks,
interpreted as representing the location of the foundations of a
large manor house. Low earthworks, visible on the ground and on
aerial photographs, demonstrate the survival of archaeological
remains of activities associated with, but outside, the moat. The
site is thought to be that of a manor held as a temporary residence
from 1252 AD but has also been traditionally associated with the
Palace of Richard, Earl of Cornwall.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Buckinghamshire, (1925), 167;174
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, , An Inventory of Historic Monuments in Buckinghamshire, (1912), 75
Dennison, E and Darvill, T, HBMC Monument Class Description - Moats, 1988,
Held at Mid Thames Arch Soc, Stanley, C,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing