This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

West Barrow: a long barrow 200m west of Leighterton School

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: West Barrow: a long barrow 200m west of Leighterton School

List entry Number: 1013590

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Boxwell with Leighterton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 30-Aug-1922

Date of most recent amendment: 05-May-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 22885

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Long barrows were constructed as earthen or drystone mounds with flanking ditches and acted as funerary monuments during the Early and Middle Neolithic periods (3400-2400 BC). They represent the burial places of Britain's early farming communities and, as such, are amongst the oldest field monuments surviving visibly in the present landscape. Where investigated, long barrows appear to have been used for communal burial, often with only parts of the human remains having been selected for interment. Certain sites provide evidence for several phases of funerary monument preceding the barrow and, consequently, it is probable that long barrows acted as important ritual sites for local communities over a considerable period of time. Some 500 examples of long barrows and long cairns, their counterparts in the uplands, are recorded nationally. As one of the few types of Neolithic structure to survive as earthworks, and due to their comparative rarity, their considerable age and their longevity as a monument type, all long barrows are considered to be nationally important.

Despite partial excavation, the West Barrow long barrow represents a fine example of its class which is known to contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed. This monument represents an example of a group of chambered long barrows commonly referred to as the Cotswold Severn group, named after the area in which they occur. The barrow is unusual for its class in that its northern quarry ditch remains visible as an earthwork.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a long barrow situated on level ground in an area of the Cotswold Hills. The barrow, known locally as West Barrow, has a mound composed of small stones; it is trapezoidal in plan and orientated east-west with maximum dimensions of 82m long, 50m wide and up to c.4m high. The mound is flanked on either side by a ditch from which material was quarried during the construction of the monument. The southern ditch has become infilled, but survives as a buried feature c.5m wide. On the northern side of the monument the ditch is visible as an earthwork 5m wide and c.0.4m deep. The barrow was partially excavated in around 1700 by Matthew Huntley who uncovered three burial chambers which he described as `vaults arched over'. Each chamber had a separate entrance which was associated with an urn containing cremated human bones and ashes. The interior of each chamber was found to contain the remains of unburnt human skulls and long bones. The dry stone walls overlying the monument are excluded from the scheduling, although the underlying ground is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
Excavation by Huntley in 1700,
Mention of unburnt human remains,
Mention of urns from chambers,

National Grid Reference: ST 81914 91304

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013590 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 12:17:18.

End of official listing