This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Deserted medieval village of Newsham

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Deserted medieval village of Newsham

List entry Number: 1013626

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bempton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 02-Feb-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 26520

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The village, comprising a small group of houses, gardens, yards, streets, paddocks, often with a green, a manor and a church, and with a community devoted primarily to agriculture, was a significant component of the rural landscape in most areas of medieval England, much as it is today. Villages provided some services to the local community and acted as the main focal point of ecclesiastical, and often of manorial, administration within each parish. Although the sites of many of these villages have been occupied continuously down to the present day, many others declined in size or were abandoned throughout the medieval and post-medieval periods, particularly during the 14th and 15th centuries. As a result over 2000 deserted medieval villages are recorded nationally. The reasons for desertion were varied but often reflected declining economic viability, changes in land use such as enclosure or emparkment, or population fluctuations as a result of widespread epidemics such as the Black Death. As a consequence of their abandonment these villages are frequently undisturbed by later occupation and contain well-preserved archaeological deposits. Because they are a common and long-lived monument type in most parts of England, they provide important information on the diversity of medieval settlement patterns and farming economy between the regions and through time.

The deserted medieval village of Newsham survives as visible earthworks, including house platforms and hollow ways which will retain archaeological information relating to the medieval period; information on the layout of the village and the structural form and function of buildings will be preserved, as will information on its date. There are good historical references to the site which link it to the modern shrunken villages of Bempton and Buckton.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a group of earthworks, the remains of the deserted medieval village of Newsham, situated on the south eastern side of the modern village of Bempton, between Bolam Lane and Newsham Hill Lane. The earthworks include a series of north facing platforms, each with a long house at its northern end, original north-south aligned streets and lanes with one prominent hollow way, the remains of a pond and several quarry pits, probably dating to a later period. Present day turf levels suggest the existence of building foundations just below the surface. Newsham is not included in the Domesday Survey. The Manor of Newsholme and five blocks of arable land were held by Erwin during Edward the Confessor's reign; in 1086 it is referred to as `Nivvehusum', held by one Drogo. The first reference to it as Newsham occurs in 1284-5, when it appears to be included as part of Buckton and Bempton, both of which survive as shrunken villages to the present. The village or hamlet must have always been adjacent to the parent township of Bempton, as its area is indicated in the Tithe Award to have formed the southern part of Bempton parish. In 1299 the village belonged to the Canterbury fee. In the 13th century, Bridlington priory received the lordship of Newsham as a gift from Stephen de Meynell and held it until its last mention in 1441. By the next reference in 1535, Newsham is no longer mentioned and it is believed that the village was deserted at an early stage, probably sometime before the 16th century. In the field to the west side of the site there is a gravestone of one Henry Jarratt, who was said to have committed suicide in 1721. All modern post and wire fencing and modern animal water and feed dispensers are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of East Riding of Yorkshire, (1974), 12
Beresford, M W, 'Yorks. Archaeological Journal' in The Lost Villages of Yorkshire, , Vol. 38, (1952), 65
Other
Bastow, M., AM107, (1987)
Coppack, G, AM7, (1973)
Humberside SMR, Sites and Monuments Records Sheet, (1994)

National Grid Reference: TA 18952 71885

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013626 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 01:21:00.

End of official listing