Gains Castle: a 13th century ringwork and bailey
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013635 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 21:19:57.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Test Valley (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 38459 30849
Reasons for Designation
Ringworks are medieval fortifications built and occupied from the late
Anglo-Saxon period to the later 12th century. They comprised a small defended
area containing buildings which was surrounded or partly surrounded by a
substantial ditch and a bank surmounted by a timber palisade or, rarely, a
stone wall. Occasionally a more lightly defended embanked enclosure, the
bailey, adjoined the ringwork. Ringworks acted as strongholds for military
operations and in some cases as defended aristocratic or manorial settlements.
They are rare nationally with only 200 recorded examples and less than 60
with baileys. As such, and as one of a limited number and very restricted
range of Anglo-Saxon and Norman fortifications, ringworks are of particular
significance to our understanding of the period.
Gains Castle is well preserved, the substantial earthwork defences of the ringwork enclosing an area within which structural remains survive. The presence of the earthworks representing the bailey provides definition for the site as a whole and emphasises its relationship with the contemporary Church of St Mary.
The monument includes a ringwork and bailey, with evidence for earlier
occupation, situated on a spur of high ground overlooking the village of
Ashley and alongside the old road from Winchester to Salisbury.
The bank and external ditch of the ringwork enclose a pentagonal area of
approximately 0.55ha. The bank varies in size from approximately 6m wide and
1.5m high on the west side of the enclosure to over 13m wide and 3m high on
the east. The ditch, which has been infilled on the west side by the
construction of a road, also varies in size, from 5m wide and 1.5m deep on the
north and south sides to over 8m wide and 2m deep on the east. In the north
east corner of the bailey are the substantial flint footings of walls. These
may represent the remains of a hall referred to in a documentary record of
1250, and recorded by Williams Freeman in 1913 as being 33m long with an
internal round tower 13m in diameter on the north side.
The outer bailey lies to the west of the ringwork and is defined by much
slighter earthworks. Where traceable within pasture, these include a low bank,
approximately 5m wide and no more than 0.5m high with an outer ditch of
similar width and approximately 0.3m deep. Additional parts of the outer
bailey circuit can be traced as a low bank to the east of the church and a
shallow ditch in woodland to the south of the ringwork. The Church of St Mary
the Virgin lies within the outer bailey to the north of the ringwork. The
church dates to the 12th century and archaeological excavation carried out at
the time of its restoration suggested that it was preceded by domestic
occupation which must therefore predate the construction of the ringwork
In addition to references to the hall, historical documentation records that
in 1200 William Briwere, the holder of the Manor of Ashley, was given a
licence to fortify, or re-fortify his castle.
Excluded from the scheduling are the Church of St Mary the Virgin, which is
Listed Grade II*, the church hall, all fences, sheds, paths, roads and
driveways, lined ponds and watercourses, the brick water supply tank and
associated pipes, the ground beneath all these features is, however, included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Williams-Freeman, JP, Introduction to field archaeology as illustrated by Hampshire, (1915), 227-9
Stubbs, K, (1989)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing