Hoddesdon Park Wood moated site, Hoddesdon
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1013659
Date first listed: 23-Jan-1991
Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1995
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013659 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 04:02:56.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Broxbourne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TL 35211 08113
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The Hoddesdon Park Wood moated site survives particularly well and is an above average example of a small rectangular Hertfordshire moat.
The monument includes the well-preserved remains of a medieval moated
enclosure. The enclosure is rectangular in shape measuring some 60m
east-west by 55m north-south in maximum external dimensions. The
partially waterfilled moat measures some 10m in width and up to 3m deep.
It is fed by a stream entering the north west corner and draining out
through an outflow channel at the south east angle. The moat is
surrounded by low outer banks surviving up to 1m high and 4m wide. The
outer bank on the north side has been levelled along an 8m wide section.
Dug into part of this north outer bank are the remains of a modern
The moated site is considered to be the location of the medieval park keeper's
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 11564
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
'East Herts. Arch. Soc.' in East Herts. Arch. Soc. note , (1908)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing