Western bowl barrow of a pair, 310m SSE of Springwell Farm


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1013707

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1995


Ordnance survey map of Western bowl barrow of a pair, 310m SSE of Springwell Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013707 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 14:59:37.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Garton

National Grid Reference: SE 99927 58060


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The monument is one of a pair of bowl barrows surviving on the edge of the deserted medieval village of Elmswell. Despite part excavation of this monument, the barrow survives reasonably well. Excavation revealed that the barrow was possibly reused during the Roman period, which is unusual. The barrow will retain further archaeological information, including evidence for its manner of construction, environmental information from the buried land surface, and further burial remains.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument includes a Bronze Age bowl barrow situated in a field 310m SSE of Springwell Farm, on the southern edge of the earthwork remains of the medieval village of Elmswell. The barrow survives as a mound 8m in diameter and about 1.2m high and is surrounded by a ditch 2m wide and 0.2m deep, which, although partly infilled through the course of time, will also survive as a buried feature. Both barrows of the pair were excavated by J R Mortimer in 1873. This barrow contained a few sherds of pottery, what appeared to be powdered bone ash in the centre, pieces of animal bones, a small fragment of corroded iron and a bronze coin of possible Roman date.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 26528

Legacy System: RSM


Books and journals
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 262-3
Bastow, M.E., AM107, (1985)
Bastow, M.E., AM107, (1989)
Craster, OE, AM7, (1966)
Humberside SMR, Sites and Monuments Records Sheet, (1994)
Walker, J., AM12, (1980)

End of official listing