Long barrow 360m SSW of Chettle House
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013792.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 02:15:01.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Dorset (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 95071 12800
Reasons for Designation
Long barrows were constructed as earthen or drystone mounds with flanking
ditches and acted as funerary monuments during the Early and Middle Neolithic
periods (3400-2400 BC). They represent the burial places of Britain's early
farming communities and, as such, are amongst the oldest field monuments
surviving visibly in the present landscape. Where investigated, long barrows
appear to have been used for communal burial, often with only parts of the
human remains having been selected for interment. Certain sites provide
evidence for several phases of funerary monument preceding the barrow and,
consequently, it is probable that long barrows acted as important ritual sites
for local communities over a considerable period of time. Some 500 examples of
long barrows and long cairns, their counterparts in the uplands, are recorded
nationally. As one of the few types of Neolithic structure to survive as
earthworks, and due to their comparative rarity, their considerable age and
their longevity as a monument type, all long barrows are considered to be
The long barrow 360m SSW of Chettle House is a well preserved example of its class and one of several long barrows in the vicinity, being less than 2km from the west end of the Neolithic monument known as the Dorset Cursus. The barrow is known from part excavation to contain archaeological remains, providing information about Neolithic burial practices, economy and environment.
The monument includes a Neolithic long barrow 360m SSW of Chettle House, close
to the parish boundary with Tarrant Hinton. The barrow, which is orientated
east to west, is situated on the top of a gentle hill with views to the south
and east. The barrow mound is c.82m long but clearly extends westwards into
the arable field for possibly a further 15m, where it is visible as a slight
rise of chalky soil. The mound is 17m wide at the west end and 19m at the east
end. It is very uneven in profile with a maximum height of 2.5m. There is no
clear indication of the ditches flanking the mound although they may be
indicated by the darker soil in the ploughed fields on both sides and they
will survive as buried features c.5m wide.
The barrow mound has been truncated and disturbed in several places by part
excavations in c.1700, 1776, and possibly more recently. These events are now
represented by depressions in the mound surface. When the barrow was opened
c.1700 it is reported that large quantities of human bones were found together
with spear heads and other weaponry, perhaps suggesting pagan Saxon secondary
burials. A further secondary burial was found in 1776.
Excluded from the scheduling are all fence posts although the ground beneath
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing