This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Long barrow north of Skelmore Heads, 300m NE of Woodside Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Long barrow north of Skelmore Heads, 300m NE of Woodside Farm

List entry Number: 1013962

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Urswick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 22-Jul-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 27689

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Long barrows were constructed as earthen or drystone mounds with flanking ditches and acted as funerary monuments during the Early and Middle Neolithic periods (3400-2400 BC). They represent the burial places of Britain's early farming communities and, as such, are amongst the oldest field monuments surviving visibly in the present landscape. Where investigated, long barrows appear to have been used for communal burial, often with only parts of the human remains having been selected for interment. Certain sites provide evidence for several phases of funerary monument preceding the barrow and, consequently, it is probable that long barrows acted as important ritual sites for local communities over a considerable period of time. Some 500 examples of long barrows and long cairns, their counterparts in the uplands, are recorded nationally. As one of the few types of Neolithic structure to survive as earthworks, and due to their comparative rarity, their considerable age and their longevity as a monument type, all long barrows are considered to be nationally important.

Despite some disturbance by a combination of unrecorded digging and limited excavation, the long barrow north of Skelmore Heads survives reasonably well. Bone and pottery is known to have been found here and further evidence of interments and grave goods will exist within the barrow and upon the old landsurface beneath. Additionally the barrow is an unusual example of this class of monument in that it is both unusually small, and it appears to have been constructed around a spinal row of standing stones.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a long barrow located on a slight terrace on the hillslope north of a low flat-topped hill known locally as Skelmore Heads. It is aligned east-west and includes a partly mutilated mound of earth and stones with maximum dimensions of 22m long by 13m wide. Towards its eastern end it measures up to 1.3m high but the barrow tapers down towards the western end where it measures approximately 0.5m high. There are two upright stones located within the barrow towards its eastern end; these protrude approximately 0.5m amd 0.3m high above the surface of the monument. Limited excavation undertaken in 1957 revealed that there had been some unrecorded disturbance between the two stone uprights. This disturbance may correspond to digging which took place c.1930 when finds of bone and pottery were made. During the 1957 excavation, the stumps of a further two stone uprights were located towards the western end of the barrow. These uprights are in alignment with the two larger upright stones towards the eastern end of the barrow and are regarded by the excavator as an important element in the ritual laying out of the monument. A drystone wall on the monument's northern side is excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath it is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Kenyon, D, The Origins of Lancashire, (1991), 29-32
Powell, T G E, 'Trans Cumb and West Antiq and Arch Soc. New Ser.' in Excavations At Skelmore Heads Near Ulverston 1957 And 1959, , Vol. LXIII, (1963), 1-30
Powell, T G E, 'Trans Cumb and West Antiq and Arch Soc. New Ser.' in The Tumulus At Skelmore Heads Near Ulverston, , Vol. LXXII, (1972), 53-6

National Grid Reference: SD 27427 75402

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013962 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 04:04:51.

End of official listing