Moated site at Bishop Ullathorne School
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014047 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 06:10:33.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Coventry (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 31641 75744
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Bishop Ullathorne School is a well preserved example of this class of monument and is unencumbered by modern development. The moated island will retain structural and artefactual evidence for the buildings which originally existed here, whilst the moat ditches, particularly the water filled southern corner, will contain both artefactual and environmental information relating to the site's occupation and the economy of its inhabitants as well as the landscape in which it was set. As a monument situated within school grounds it serves as both an educational and an amenity resource.
The monument is situated within the grounds of Bishop Ullathorne Roman
Catholic School on the south western outskirts of Coventry and includes a
The moated site has external dimensions of 52m north west to south east and
70m north east to south west and projects out of an east facing slope. The dry
moat ditches are up to 15m wide and approximately 1.5m deep. At the southern
corner of the site, the moat ditch projects to the south west to form a pond
area which remains water filled and is included in the scheduling. A modern
service road bisects the site and is thought to overlie the original entrance
onto the moated island, which is believed to have been from the north, across
the north eastern arm of the moat. The moated island is raised above the
surrounding ground surface and is approximately 33m square. It has a
relatively level surface and is thought to retain buried archaeological
features associated with the occupation of the moated site.
A late 16th century map of the area provides evidence for the setting of the
moated site during the post-medieval period. At this time it was located
within an open area which was bounded to the south and east by belts of
The surfaces of all driveways, the flag-pole, and the modern bridges across
the north eastern and south western moat ditches are excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Title: Map of Stoneleigh Source Date: 1597 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing