Round cairn, 300m south of Lowshield Green
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1014050
Date first listed: 01-Jul-1996
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014050 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 15:30:53.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: NY 88876 79751
Reasons for Designation
Round cairns are prehistoric funerary monuments dating to the Bronze Age
(c.2000-700 BC). They were constructed as stone mounds covering single or
multiple burials. These burials may be placed within the mound in stone-lined
compartments called cists. In some cases the cairn was surrounded by a ditch.
Often occupying prominent locations, cairns are a major visual element in the
modern landscape. They are a relatively common feature of the uplands and are
the stone equivalent of the earthen round barrows of the lowlands. Their
considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provide
important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisation
amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of
their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered
worthy of protection.
Despite some damage by antiquarian excavation the cairn near Lowshield Green retains significant archaeological deposits. Evidence of the manner of construction and the nature and duration of its use will be preserved within and beneath the mound.
The monument includes the remains of a round cairn of Bronze Age date situated
on a level plateau on a steep north facing slope. The cairn is visible as the
disturbed remains of a flat topped mound composed of stone and earth measuring
20m in diameter and standing to a maximum height of 0.4m. Slight indications
of a ditch 0.1m deep and a stone kerb surrounding the mound could be seen in
1965. The cairn was excavated in 1884 by G R Hall, the vicar of Birtley, when
it was found to contain two Bronze Age pottery vessels each containing a
cremated body. The location of the pottery is no longer known.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 25167
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Gibson, A M, Bronze Age Pottery in the North East of England, (1978)
Rome Hall, G, 'Archaeologia Aeliana 2 ser 12' in Archaeologia Aeliana 2 ser 12, (1887), 242-7
NY 87 NE 23,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing