This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Gidlow Hall moated site, Aspull, 560m NNE of Pennington Hall

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Gidlow Hall moated site, Aspull, 560m NNE of Pennington Hall

List entry Number: 1014210

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wigan

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 25-Aug-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 27586

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Gidlow Hall survives reasonably well in spite of its continued use as a farmhouse. The moat is complete and will retain conditions suitable for the preservation of organic remains. There will also be significant remains of the original medieval structures on the enclosed island.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site at Aspull, near Wigan. A stone built bridge allows approach on the south side. The water-filled moat surrounding the island is 9m wide on average and appears to be at least 1.5m deep with little sign of silting. The moat is sub- rectangular in shape, and has maximum dimensions of 105m north west to south east and 75m north east to south west. A bridge allows access to the enclosed island on the south side. This is 5m wide, built in a shallow arch of stone and has a parapet constructed of large dressed single stones tied together with iron clamps set in lead. The bridge is an original construction of the late 16th century. Its width and construction could support carts and carriages. The platform thrown up by the excavation of the moat is raised 0.5m above the surrounding ground level. This is divided into two areas by a hedge on a slight bank. Otherwise there is no evidence of landscaping in the interior. At present a square stone building two storeys high stands on the island. This bears a date stone of 1574. It was largely rebuilt in 1840 but retains stone mullions and moulded details from the 16th century building; it is Listed Grade II. The 1574 building will have replaced earlier medieval buildings known through documentary sources to have stood on the enclosed island. The hall takes its name from `Gudelow', a family first recorded in 1291. The present house is excluded from the scheduling as are the outbuildings to its rear although the ground beneath all these structures is included. The bridge is also included in the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, J, Brownbill, W (eds), The Victoria History of the County of Lancashire: Volume II, (1908), 548

National Grid Reference: SD 62484 07057

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 12:18:05.

End of official listing