Medieval moated site 150m south east of Low Hutton Post Office
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014384.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 18:12:41.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Ryedale (District Authority)
- Huttons Ambo
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 76318 67386
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The site at Low Hutton is a variation of the usual form of moated site in that it has a narrow surrounding ditch. It is known from excavations within the interior of the site that significant remains of medieval structures survive. Further archaeological remains will also be preserved within the interior and in the partly infilled ditches and will assist in the study of the medieval environment and economy of the site.
The monument includes a medieval moated site visible as a regularly shaped
enclosure surrounded by a bank and ditch. It is situated on a bluff
overlooking the River Derwent. The site is nearly rectangular in shape with a
substantial bank and external ditch on the north, south and west sides with
the east side formed by the top of the slope down to the river. The enclosure
measures 55m east to west and 60m north to south with the banks standing up to
1.5m above the interior. The ditches to the north and west are up to 1.5m
deep. The ditch to the south has been incorporated into a later deep hollow
way. The interior of the enclosure is level with some evidence of earthworks
in the south west corner.
There is an entrance through the bank in the north side of the enclosure. The
site was partly excavated in 1956 and the remains of a 13th century medieval
timber hall were uncovered. Further earthworks lie to the west of the
monument. Their origin and function are not fully understood and they are
therefore not included in the scheduling.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Thompson, M V, 'Archaeological Journal' in Excavation of the Fortified Medieval Hall of Hutton Colwain, , Vol. VOL CXIV, (1957), 69-81
McElvaney M, Howardian Hills AONB Historical Enviroment Study, (1994)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing