This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Market cross on south side of Market Place

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Market cross on south side of Market Place

List entry Number: 1014516

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Mountsorrel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 29-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 15-May-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21651

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

A standing cross is a free standing upright structure, usually of stone, mostly erected during the medieval period (mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD). Standing crosses served a variety of functions. In churchyards they served as stations for outdoor processions, particularly in the observance of Palm Sunday. Elsewhere, standing crosses were used within settlements as places for preaching, public proclamation and penance, as well as defining rights of sanctuary. Standing crosses were also employed to mark boundaries between parishes, property, or settlements. A few crosses were erected to commemorate battles. Some crosses were linked to particular saints, whose support and protection their presence would have helped to invoke. Crosses in market places may have helped to validate transactions. After the Reformation, some crosses continued in use as foci for municipal or borough ceremonies, for example as places for official proclamations and announcements; some were the scenes of games or recreational activity. Standing crosses were distributed throughout England and are thought to have numbered in excess of 12,000. However, their survival since the Reformation has been variable, being much affected by local conditions, attitudes and religious sentiment. In particular, many cross-heads were destroyed by iconoclasts during the 16th and 17th centuries. Less than 2,000 medieval standing crosses, with or without cross-heads, are now thought to exist. The oldest and most basic form of standing cross is the monolith, a stone shaft often set directly in the ground without a base. The most common form is the stepped cross, in which the shaft is set in a socket stone and raised upon a flight of steps; this type of cross remained current from the 11th to 12th centuries until after the Reformation. Where the cross-head survives it may take a variety of forms, from a lantern-like structure to a crucifix; the more elaborate examples date from the 15th century. Much less common than stepped crosses are spire-shaped crosses, often composed of three or four receding stages with elaborate architectural decoration and/or sculptured figures; the most famous of these include the Eleanor crosses, erected by Edward I at the stopping places of the funeral cortege of his wife, who died in 1290. Also uncommon are the preaching crosses which were built in public places from the 13th century, typically in the cemeteries of religious communities and cathedrals, market places and wide thoroughfares; they include a stepped base, buttresses supporting a vaulted canopy, in turn carrying either a shaft and head or a pinnacled spire. Standing crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval customs, both secular and religious, and to our knowledge of medieval parishes and settlement patterns. All crosses which survive as standing monuments, especially those which stand in or near their original location, are considered worthy of protection.

The market cross on the south side of Market Place survives well and is a good example of an unusual post-medieval structure on a site that has its origins in the medieval period. Situated in the former marketplace, it is believed to stand in the original location of the market cross and provides information on the historical development and form of this type of monument. Limited development of the area immediately surrounding the cross indicates that archaeological deposits relating to the present monument's construction and use are likely to survive intact and it is thought likely that deposits relating to the earlier monuments on this site will be present beneath it. Modern restoration work on the cross illustrates its continued function as a public monument and amentity from the 18th century onwards.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the market cross, a rotunda located on the south side of Market Place in the town of Mountsorrel. The cross, which is Listed Grade II*, takes the form of a small open-sided peristyle structure surmounted by a finial and is principally late-18th century in date. The cross stands on a slightly raised circular platform, which is approximately 6.5m in diameter and has a stone-flagged floor. The entablature and roof are supported by eight Doric columns which stand on stone pads. These columns consist of sandstone blocks and have been strengthened in places with iron tie-bands. The domed roof is cased in lead with a plastered interior and is surmounted by a stone vase-shaped finial. Documentary references indicate that a charter allowing a market to be held in Mountsorrel was granted by Edward I in 1292. The original market cross was moved by Sir John Danvers in the late-18th century to Swithland Park, approximately 3km to the south west of Mountsorrel, for `safekeeping'and the present structure, designed by William Thomas, was erected in its place in c.1793. The surfaces of all modern roads and pavements and the concrete bollards are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 1 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960), 326

National Grid Reference: SK 58179 15054

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 01:19:02.

End of official listing