Bowl barrow 580m east of Moor Wood Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1014684

Date first listed: 17-Feb-1927

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Aug-1996

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bowl barrow 580m east of Moor Wood Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 19:14:16.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hartshill

National Grid Reference: SP 31755 94330

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The bowl barrow within Hartshill Hayes Country Park survives well and limited antiquarian investigation of the mound has indicated that valuable evidence relating both to the construction and use of the barrow survives within the mound. It is also known to retain rare evidence for the reuse of the barrow during the Anglo-Saxon period. The deposits within the infilled ditch will preserve evidence for the environment in which the monument was built and for environmental changes occurring during its use. The site is included within a public amenity area.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow located on a ridge within the western part of Hartshill Hayes Country Park and 580m east of Moor Wood Farm. The earth mound stands to a height of 2.1m and is approximately 20m in diameter. Although no longer visible at ground level, a ditch, from which material was quarried during the construction of the monument, surrounds the mound. This has become infilled over the years but survives as a buried feature, approximately 3m wide, and is included in the scheduling. The barrow was partly excavated in 1835 when it was recorded as standing to a height of 4.5m and a variety of archaeological remains were located within the mound, including three Bronze Age burials. These were associated with a small cist of loose stones approximately 2m beneath the top of the mound within which were two large urns, placed rim downwards, and both containing burnt fragments. Two smaller vessels or drinking cups and a small bronze dagger or knife were associated with these remains. A further up-turned Bronze Age urn laid over burnt bone fragments, together with a drinking cup, was located approximately 0.6m below these two burials. An intrusive Anglo-Saxon burial was also located within the upper, eastern levels of the mound and included several bone fragments, an iron spearhead and a corroded shield boss. The fence posts and the surface of the road in the south western part of the monument are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 21623

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Thomas, N, 'Transaction of the Warwickshire Archaeological Society' in An Archaeological Gazeteer for Warwickshire, (1974), 31
Thomas, N, 'Transaction of the Warwickshire Archaeological Society' in An Archaeological Gazeteer for Warwickshire, (1974), 31

End of official listing