This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Chipping Norton motte and bailey castle, and fishpond

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Chipping Norton motte and bailey castle, and fishpond

List entry Number: 1014747

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chipping Norton

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Over Norton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 12-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Jul-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21808

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Motte and bailey castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain by the Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the motte, surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. In a majority of examples an embanked enclosure containing additional buildings, the bailey, adjoined the motte. Motte castles and motte-and-bailey castles acted as garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal administration. Built in towns, villages and open countryside, motte and bailey castles generally occupied strategic positions dominating their immediate locality and, as a result, are the most visually impressive monuments of the early post-Conquest period surviving in the modern landscape. Over 600 motte castles or motte-and-bailey castles are recorded nationally, with examples known from most regions. As one of a restricted range of recognised early post-Conquest monuments, they are particularly important for the study of Norman Britain and the development of the feudal system. Although many were occupied for only a short period of time, motte castles continued to be built and occupied from the 11th to the 13th centuries, after which they were superseded by other types of castle.

The motte and bailey castle at Chipping Norton survives well and the later alterations to its plan contribute to our understanding of changes and developments in defensive and aristocratic architecture. It will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, occupation and the landscape in which it was built. The associated fishpond provides evidence of the medieval economy. It is one of the best examples in Oxfordshire.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of Chipping Norton motte and bailey castle, and an associated fishpond to its west, situated on the south east side of a shallow valley immediately north west of the present town of Chipping Norton. Two distinct phases in the layout of the castle can be recognised in the present earthwork remains. The earliest castle included a motte, now known as the Mount, and a large bailey to the east which encloses the whole area in which the later castle earthworks were built. The motte has been altered by modern landscaping but remains clearly visible as a conical mound with a flat top c.30m in diameter. This stands c.6m above the meadow to the north west and c.2m above the top of the natural slope outside the present castle. The bailey has been partly levelled by the building of the later castle but survives as a low rampart bank c.4m wide and 1.5m high enclosing an area c.196m from west- east and 108m from north-south. It is surrounded by a ditch, part of which has been reused for the later castle and the remains of which are partly infilled. However it can be seen at the east of the monument where it survives as a shallow feature c.10m wide. The original entrance appears to have been in the south east corner where the later castle entrance was also located. The later castle had two enclosed areas or `wards' of which the one to the north east was the smaller. They were formed by levelling part of the valley slope and building high ramparts with deep ditches on all sides, except the north west where the rampart is supported by a natural slope. The enclosed area is 164m by 82m, divided into two wards by a north west-south east ditch. The ramparts stand up to 5m high and measure up to 8m across. The surrounding ditches vary in width and depth depending on the topography but are up to 8m deep and measure as much as 20m across on the south side. Internally, the wards are sub-divided by a series of low banks which are believed to represent the lines of walls, and a number of building platforms have been recorded, including a possible gatehouse. To the north west of the castle lies a broad meadow, bounded by the stream which runs through the valley to the north, and the base of the castle earthworks to the south. This meadow may originally have been a fishpond and certainly provided grazing for horses. This is not included in the scheduling. To the west of the castle lies a fishpond measuring 70m across and 150m long. This has partly silted up over the years and is now dry although often waterlogged after rain. Its south west end is defined by a large 15m wide bank c.4m above the base of the valley. The castle is known from documentary sources to have been built by the Fitzalans of Clun during the 12th century. This refers to the later visible earthworks and the earlier motte and bailey must belong to the period immediately after the Norman Conquest in 1066 AD. The castle is believed to have later been used as a seasonal hunting lodge by the Fitzalans, as were other castles around the royal hunting lodge at Langley in Wychwood Forest. The castle appears to have still been inhabited in 1268 but had gone out of use and was in ruins by 1566. When the house known as the Mount was built, in 1869, a number of finds were made which were said to show ..`beyond a doubt that the beautiful new mansion of H F Wilkins Esq formed part of the ancient castle.' Excluded from the scheduling are the house known as The Mount, all boundary fences crossing the site, all existing telegraph poles and lamp stands and the modern surface of the Mount driveway and that to Spring Hill, although the land beneath all of the above is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Kirtland, C, Brief Memorials of the Early History of Chipping Norton, (1871)
Other
1146 for motte and bailey, C.A.O., CHIPPING NORTON CASTLE, (1981)
AI 127982, Jeffery, PP, Water Meadow, (1995)
Fieldwork and documentary survey, Chadburn, A, CHIPPING NORTON CASTLE, (1980)
Fieldwork and documentary survey, Chadburn, A, CHIPPING NORTON CASTLE, (1980)
PRN 1146, C.A.O., CHIPPING NORTON CASTLE, (1981)
PRN 4187, C.A.O., Medieval Fishpond, (1981)
QUARTER SHEET SP32NW, Victoria History Of The Counties Of England, A History Of The County Of Oxfordshire, A History Of The Counties Of England,
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:10000 Series Source Date: 1980 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: Quarter Sheet SP32NW
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:10000 Series Source Date: 1980 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: Sheet SP32 NW

National Grid Reference: SP 31065 27430

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014747 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 11:38:05.

End of official listing