Middleton Stoney Castle


Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015164.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2021 at 13:35:20.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cherwell (District Authority)
Middleton Stoney
National Grid Reference:
SP 53218 23241

Reasons for Designation

Motte and bailey castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain by the Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the motte, surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. In a majority of examples an embanked enclosure containing additional buildings, the bailey, adjoined the motte. Motte castles and motte-and-bailey castles acted as garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal administration. Built in towns, villages and open countryside, motte and bailey castles generally occupied strategic positions dominating their immediate locality and, as a result, are the most visually impressive monuments of the early post-Conquest period surviving in the modern landscape. Over 600 motte castles or motte-and-bailey castles are recorded nationally, with examples known from most regions. As one of a restricted range of recognised early post-Conquest monuments, they are particularly important for the study of Norman Britain and the development of the feudal system. Although many were occupied for only a short period of time, motte castles continued to be built and occupied from the 11th to the 13th centuries, after which they were superseded by other types of castle.

Middleton Stoney motte and bailey castle survives as an impressive earthwork and is a good example of its class. It is known from excavation that it contains archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, function and the landscape in which it was built. The castle is unusual in being built on the site of an earlier Roman building and early medieval enclosure. It also appears to have been central to various changes in land management during the later medieval period: an enclosed warren was built to the south east of the castle in the 17th century, while village earthworks and traces of cultivation surround the site. A standing cross was moved into the castle bailey, perhaps from the nearby churchyard, while further landscaping occurred in the 18th century. The complex sequence of development witnessed in and around Middleton Stoney Castle will be of interest in studies of landscape evolution generally, providing evidence for the different ways in which the local inhabitants regarded this site throughout the course of the last 2000 years.


The monument includes a motte and bailey castle at Middleton Stoney set within an earlier enclosure bank which also includes a Roman building, the base of a medieval cross, which has been relocated to the castle bailey from the nearby churchyard, an early post-medieval rabbit warren and a sample of the surrounding medieval field system where it meets the castle earthworks. The site lies within parkland adjacent to All Saints Church c.250m south west of the present village of Middleton Stoney. The castle includes an earthen motte built around a stone tower, enclosed by a deep ditch and, to the north west, a later bailey with a bank and ditch enclosing a series of buildings, courtyards and other associated features. Only the earthwork motte, sections of the bank and partly infilled sections of the ditch remain visible at ground level. However, it is known from part excavation during the 1970s that substantial remains survive as buried features. The tower has 3m thick walls which enclose a rectangular area 10.5m by 7m across. Its walls survive, within the mound of the motte, to 1.3m high, resting on the original ground surface. The tower's long axis runs roughly north west-south east and all four corners are buttressed. Within the width of the wall in the eastern corner of the tower, a 1.7m by 1.4m wide shaft was found. When excavated this was found to be 3.2m deep and is believed to have been a water tank. A staircase running up the north west side of the motte and then up the outside of the tower on the south east side was also found. The motte was originally circular although it has since been distorted in shape by landscaping. It measures c.36m in diameter and stands c.4m high. Surrounding it, but no longer visible at ground level, is a broad, flat-bottomed ditch c.5m wide and 3m deep. This ditch provided a quarry for the material of the motte and also contributed to the overall plan of the defences. The main bailey ditch to the north west measures 5.5m wide and c.1.5m deep, although it is now mostly infilled. The enclosure measures 70m by 100m across. Within it, excavation has shown that there are a number of buildings, pits, walls and other features which relate to the period of the castle's occupation. Within the bailey are the remains of a medieval standing cross, Listed Grade II and once sited in the adjacent churchyard. The cross includes a square based octagonal socket stone c.0.8m across upon which rests the broken base of an octagonal shaft c.1.5m high. The top of the shaft and the head of the cross are no longer present. It is known to have been one of two standing crosses shown on a farm map of 1737. The whereabouts of the other cross is no longer known. The castle lies to the north west of a small rectangular enclosure aligned north east-south west. This enclosure is defined on three sides by an earthen bank c.10m wide and up to 1.5m above the present ground level. The area enclosed measures c.70m by c.35m. Part excavation has shown that this bank is surrounded by a ditch 3m wide and c.2m deep although it is now largely infilled. Both features were modified during the later landscaping of the park. The excavations showed that the bank overlay a surface associated with a Roman building, suggesting that the bank is of early medieval date. The building was rectangular in plan with its long axis running north east-south west. It measures 12.5m by 7.9m internally and has walls c.0.5m thick. These were built of limestone with the outer face of dressed blocks and a rubble core. The building had a gulley feature running along it and was later modified. Further Roman structures and sections of wall were found, suggesting that the site was either a farmstead or small villa. To the south east lies a further banked and ditched enclosure which measures 130m from north west-south east and 110m from south west-north east. The bank is c.3m wide and stands up to 1.5m high, above the original ground surface. Its adjacent quarry ditch lies inside the bank and although largely infilled, is known from limited excavation to measure 2.5m wide and 0.7m deep. Pottery evidence dates the ditch fill to the post- medieval period and the enclosure almost certainly defines a warren, recorded in documentary sources, though it may originally have been associated with the castle. Surrounding the castle and still visible in places, despite later landscaping, are traces of medieval fields and ridge and furrow cultivation. Traces of these extend well beyond the monument but are not visible at ground level immediately adjacent to it. It is known from documentary sources that the castle was probably built by the de Granville family during the late 1100s in a period known as the Anarchy. In 1202 they were granted the right to create an enclosed park but only a few years later, in 1216, there was a royal order for the destruction of the castle. It was visited by Leland in 1530 when the ruins were overgrown but some walls were still visible above ground. It is also documented that Sir Edmund Denton built a banked and walled warren before 1700. Further landscaping, mainly in the 18th century, has further changed the appearance of the monument to its present form. Excluded from the scheduling are the fences, churchyard wall and surfaced drive which cross it, although, the land beneath all of these is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), various
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 44
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 42-44
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 65
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 63
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 68
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 69
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 50-68
64:5/110, D.O.E., LISTED BUILDINGS, CHERWELL, (1991)
Comparison to site excavated by me, Jeffery, P.P., South Gate Excavations Exeter, (1995)
PRN 1148 note 2, C.A.O., CASTLE, (1992)
PRN 1148, C.A.O., CASTLE, (1992)
PRN 14106, C.A.O., Warren, (1992)
PRN 3309, C.A.O., Site of Roman Building, (1992)
PRN 3886 note 2, comment, C.A.O., Medieval Cross, (1992)
PRN 3886 note 2, reference, C.A.O., Medieval Cross, (1992)
PRN 3886 note 3, C.A.O., Medieval Cross, (1992)
PRN 3886, C.A.O., Medieval Cross, (1992)
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:10000 Series Source Date: 1980 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SP 52 SW
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:10000 Series Source Date: 1980 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SP 52 SW


This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].