Queensberry Bridge

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1015221

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Jan-1997

Map

Ordnance survey map of Queensberry Bridge
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015221 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 04:16:24.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Amesbury

National Grid Reference: SU 15108 41308

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Prior to the construction of the bypass around the town of Amesbury, Queensbury Bridge provided the main crossing over the River Avon on the western side of the town. In contrast to bridges that have been substantially re-engineered, Queensbury Bridge remains essentially as constructed, with the addition of modern road surfaces. It will contain both within its built structure and in its foundations, evidence for construction methods employed, and of the sequence of its use and repair. The bridge is a prominent local landmark and can be appreciated from the adjacent pedestrian footbridge.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes Queensberry Bridge, the road bridge over the River Avon close to the main entry into Amesbury Abbey. The bridge, which is Listed Grade II, built in 1775 by John Smeaton, is constructed of limestone ashlar on elm plank foundations. The central horizontal section is of three segmental arches of rusticated voussoirs and raised key blocks meeting a string band at the base of the parapet. At each end there is a smaller, similar arch. The piers have cutwaters to both sides. The parapet has a raised central panel bearing the date MDCCLXXV on each side. The bridge, which is 32m long, widens to 6m at its abutments and terminates with rusticated quoins. The bridge was named after the third Duke of Queensberry, the owner of Amesbury Abbey at the time of its construction. A single arch stone bridge to the east of Queensberry Bridge which crosses a possible water meadow feeder channel is not part of the scheduling. The modern road surface is not included in the scheduling although the bridge structure and the ground beneath this feature is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 28942

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 89

End of official listing