This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Icehouse 260m north west of Castle Hill

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Icehouse 260m north west of Castle Hill

List entry Number: 1015464

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Filleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 11-Jul-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 28624

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Icehouses are subterranean structures designed specifically to store ice, usually removed in winter from ponds and used in the summer for preserving food and cooling drinks. Thousands of icehouses have been built in England since the early 17th century. These were initially built only by the upper level of society, but by the end of the 18th century they were commonplace. They continued to be built throughout the 19th century, when huge examples were established by the fishing industry, as well as for use in towns. Icehouses only became obsolete after the introduction of domestic refrigerators in the early 20th century. Of the thousands originally built, some 1500 icehouses have been positively identified through a combination of archaeological and documentary research. Although a relatively common class, most recorded examples with surviving remains will be considered to be of national interest and appropriate for consideration for either scheduling or listing. They are also generally regarded as a significant component of local distinctiveness and character.

Despite damage to its upper levels, the icehouse 260m north west of Castle Hill survives comparatively well and forms part of a well preserved group of structures associated with Castle Hill House.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This monument includes an icehouse in the grounds of Castle Hill, set into a hillside known as Ice House Hill, 83m west of Filleigh Brook, 59m north of a disused quarry and 260m north west of Castle Hill House. The monument survives as a D-shaped flat topped platform set into the side of a hill. This measures 22.6m long, 10.8m wide at the widest point and up to 1.6m high. The entrance is at the northern end, facing east towards the track. This consists of two parallel banks 1m apart measuring 2.5m long, 2.3m wide and up to 0.4m high. The banks in this area are particularly stony and some stones have traces of mortar adhering to their surfaces. A contemporary drawing of the icehouse shows it to be a partly submerged feature, and this is corroborated by the field evidence. The area to the east and downslope often becomes waterlogged some time after heavy rain: the water is being pooled before eventually soaking away, confirming the existence of a submerged chamber and drainage system. A nearby spring and the area to the west of the Filleigh Brook which is known to flood may have provided a source of ice. The icehouse is indicated in this area according to the Tithe Map. It was built by the First Earl Fortescue in 1790 and clearly shown on the 1790 Field Map, apparently surrounded by trees as described in the contemporary literature.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, , Moggridge, , Castle Hill: Summary and evaluation of History, (1991)
Other
Devon County Sites and Monuments Register, SS62NE34, (1983)
MPP fieldwork by H. Gerrard, (1995)

National Grid Reference: SS 66916 28632

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015464 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2018 at 11:29:46.

End of official listing