- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015873 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 16:26:28.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Gloucester (District Authority)
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 81601 19582
Reasons for Designation
No bridges are known in England prior to the Roman invasion, the earliest being dated to between the late 1st century AD and AD250. Over the next 2000 years, many bridges have been constructed varying considerably in their scale, the method of construction and their function. Many bridges remain in use and have been strengthened to accommodate the demands of modern traffic, while some have barely changed since their construction. The 19th century brought new methods of bridge construction, including the use of iron for spanning large distances. Thomas Telford was among the foremost engineers of this period, and was responsible for the construction of a number of bridges in the south west. He designed a single span arch bridge of cast iron to span the Severn at Mythe, near Tewkesbury. The constrution of a similar bridge at Over in stone represents a remarkable feat and is a fine example of his work.
The monument includes a bridge spanning the canalised West Channel of the
River Severn on the western outskirts of Gloucester.
The bridge, of the single span arch type, is built of stone and is
approximately 100m long and 9m wide. The access to the bridge is under grass,
but that part of the bridge which spans the canal is tarmaced with a pavement
for pedestrian traffic on either side. The bridge, designed by Thomas Telford
in 1825, was opened in 1830 to carry the main road across the canal, and give
access to Gloucester from the west. Before the Severn Bridge was built at Aust
in the 1960s, this was the lowest point at which the Severn could be crossed
The bridge is in the care of the Secretary of State.
Wooden fence posts and telegraph poles are excluded from the scheduling,
although the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Record No 453, Gloucestershire C. C., Gloucestershire C. C. SMR,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing