Bell barrow 500m north east of Beacon Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015995.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 10:34:28.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Dorset (Unitary Authority)
- Ferndown Town
- National Grid Reference:
- SZ 06788 99374
Reasons for Designation
Bell barrows, the most visually impressive form of round barrow, are funerary
monuments dating to the Early and Middle Bronze Age, with most examples
belonging to the period 1500-1100 BC. They occur either in isolation or in
round barrow cemeteries and were constructed as single or multiple mounds
covering burials, often in pits, and surrounded by an enclosure ditch. The
burials are frequently accompanied by weapons, personal ornaments and pottery
and appear to be those of aristocratic individuals, usually men. Bell barrows
(particularly multiple barrows) are rare nationally, with less than 250 known
examples, most of which are in Wessex. Their richness in terms of grave goods
provides evidence for chronological and cultural links amongst early
prehistoric communities over most of southern and eastern England as well as
providing an insight into their beliefs and social organisation. As a
particularly rare form of round barrow, all identified bell barrows would
normally be considered to be of national importance.
The bell barrow 500m north east of Beacon Farm is one of a dispersed group of barrows on the heathland in this area and is a well preserved example of its class. It will contain archaeological remains providing information about Bronze Age burial practices, economy and environment.
The monument includes a bell barrow 500m north east of Beacon Farm, one of a
dispersed group of barrows on Parley and Ferndown Commons. The bell barrow
has a mound, 25m in diameter, surrounded by a sloping berm, c.3m wide, and is
3m high. Surrounding the mound and berm is a quarry ditch from which material
was excavated during the construction of the barrow. This is visible as a
depression up to 4m wide and 0.8m deep. A second barrow c.80m to the north is
the subject of a separate scheduling.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing