Round barrow 250m north east of Comer Lodge
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016265 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 01:35:24.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Hambleton (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 32319 81657
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite limited disturbance this barrow has survived well. Significant information about the original form, burials placed within it and evidence of earlier land use beneath the mound will be preserved. The barrow is part of a wider grouping of prehistoric monuments in the Vale of Mowbray. Such groupings of monuments offer important scope for the study of the use of land for social and ritual purposes in different geographical areas during the prehistoric period.
The monument includes a round barrow situated on undulating land in the Vale
of Mowbray. The barrow has an earth and stone mound standing 1.8m high. It is
round in shape and measures 14m in diameter. The mound was originally
surrounded by a quarry ditch up to 3m wide, although this has been infilled
over the years and is no longer visible as an earthwork.
The barrow mound was partly excavated in 1903 when one burial and two
cremations were found with associated pottery.
This barrow is an outlying member of a wider group of barrows in the Vale of
Mowbray which are concentrated around the prehistoric henge monuments at
Thornborough and Hutton Moor.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Manby, T G, 'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Bronze Age Pottery From Kirklington, North Riding, , Vol. VOL 43, (1971), 175-78
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing