This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site 400m north east of Home Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site 400m north east of Home Farm

List entry Number: 1016473

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Withcall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 16-Apr-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 31619

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 400m north east of Home Farm survives well as a series of earthworks and buried deposits. Waterlogging at the base of the moat and channels will preserve organic remains, such as timber, leather and seeds, which will give an insight into domestic and economic activity on the site. The banks and artificially raised ground will preserve evidence of land use prior to their construction.

As one of two moats associated with the medieval village of Withcall it contributes to an understanding of the relationship between contemporary components of the medieval landscape.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site located 400m to the north east of Home Farm. The moat is one of two such sites located within the area of the former medieval village of Withcall; the second moat 250m to the south west is the subject of a separate scheduling. Documentary records show that in 1086 Withcall was held by the Bishop of Bayeux, Rainer de Brimou, and William Blund. By the 14th century Withcall was let to tenants and held by William Ribald of Louth.

The moated site includes a moated platform, or island, with external banks and ditches and covers an area approximately 120m by 65m. The rectangular island measures 70m by 30m and includes an internal bank and a raised rectangular mound in the western corner which represents a building platform where the house would have been located. A shallow depression in the centre of the island, linked to the south eastern moat arm by a channel or leat, is thought to represent a subdivision of the moated island. The platform is enclosed on three sides by a broad dry moat measuring 8m to 14m in width with external banks measuring between 4m to 10m in width. On the fourth side the north west moat arm is partly cut by a modern drainage ditch containing water and is lined by an external bank measuring approximately 8m in width.

Water was formerly supplied to the moat by a stream flowing in from the south west with the outer channels forming part of the water management system. On the north east side of the moat, immediately beyond the external bank, there is a broad channel, measuring 7m in width, whilst on the south western side of the moat the external bank is lined by a channel with an outer bank, which together measure 11m in width.

Other areas of the former medieval village at Withcall have not survived as fully identifiable earthwork remains, and although these areas will include archaeological remains, the level of survival is currently unknown and they are not included in the scheduling.

All fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Foster, C W, Longley, T, The Lincolnshire Domesday and the Lincolnshire Survey, (1976)
Other
Lincolnshire Archives Office, MM 1/1/22, (1399)
NMR, 353113, (1998)

National Grid Reference: TF 28584 83968

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 10:11:35.

End of official listing