This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site immediately north east of Home Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site immediately north east of Home Farm

List entry Number: 1016474

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Withcall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 16-Apr-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 31620

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site immediately north east of Home Farm survives well as a series of earthworks and buried deposits. Waterlogging at the base of the moat and channels will preserve organic remains, such as timber, leather and seeds, which will give an insight into domestic and economic activity on the site. The artificially raised banks will preserve evidence of land use prior to the construction of the moat.

As one of two moats associated with the medieval village of Withcall it contributes to an understanding of the relationship between contemporary components of the medieval landscape.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site located 100m north east of Home Farm. The moat is one of two such sites located within the area of the former medieval village of Withcall; the second moat 250m to the north east is the subject of a separate scheduling. Documentary records show that in 1086 land at Withcall was held by the Bishop of Bayeux, Rainer de Brimou, and William Blund. By the 14th century the lands at Withcall were held by William Ribald of Louth.

The monument lies on a south facing slope and takes the form of a rectangular moated enclosure, cut into the natural slope, including two adjacent islands, separated by a moat arm, a level terraced area to the south west of the islands, and an external bank and water channel. The monument covers an area measuring 110m by 105m.

The island, lying in the north western part of the complex, is rectangular in plan measuring 40m by 30m. It includes the earthwork remains of a building at the eastern corner, thought to represent the manor house, and a hollow on the western side thought to be the base of a World War II Anderson shelter. On the north western side of the upper island the moat, now dry, measures up to 15m in width and is up to 2.5m deep. A partly infilled section of the north west moat arm is thought to represent an original access point to the island. The second island lies immediately to the south east, separated by a narrow, deep moat arm. The island is sub-rectangular in plan, measuring 45m by 20m, and lined with internal banks on the north western and south eastern sides. The island has a gently sloping interior and is thought to have been used as a yard or paddock.

On the south western side of the two islands there is a broad flat area, terraced into the natural slope, marked by a steep slope to the north west and a lesser gradient to the south west. A large circular mound, measuring 14m in width, lying to the south west of the lower island, is thought to represent the remains of a former outer bank which bounded the moat arm on this side. To the south east of the lower island a low bank represents the south eastern limit of the moat with a shallow external channel forming part of the complex's water control system.

Other areas of the village have not survived as fully identifiable earthwork remains and, although these areas will include archaeological remains, the level of survival is currently unknown and they are not included in the scheduling.

A septic tank on the north west edge of the moat and all fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Foster, C W, Longley, T, The Lincolnshire Domesday and the Lincolnshire Survey, (1976)
Other
Lincolnshire Archives Office, MM 1/1/22, (1399)
Mr Henry Smith, (1998)
NMR, 353113, (1998)

National Grid Reference: TF 28357 83832

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016474 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 02:18:30.

End of official listing