This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site 90m north east of Ashby Villas

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site 90m north east of Ashby Villas

List entry Number: 1016476

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ivinghoe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 02-Dec-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32111

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 90m north east of Ashby Villas survives well. The island is largely undisturbed and will retain buried evidence for structures and other features relating to the period of occupation. The buried silts in the base of the ditch will contain both artefacts relating to the period of occupation and environmental evidence for the appearance of the landscape in which the monument was set.

The monument lies in an area where moated sites are relatively numerous, and is situated in close proximity to three such sites; one at Butlers Manor in Edlesborough, about 1km to the north, one at Church Farm in Edlesborough, 2.1km to the north east and the other at Horton Hall, Ivinghoe, 3.4km to the north west. Comparisons between these sites will provide valuable insights into the nature of settlement and society in the medieval period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated site 90m north east of Ashby Villas, located towards the eastern end of the village of Ivinghoe Aston.

The moated site includes a rectangular island, which measures approximately 48m north east-south west by a maximum of 34m north west-south east. The island is contained by a water-filled ditch, or moat, which measures up to 7m wide and at least 1.2m in depth. A north east extension to the north western arm of the moat ditch, approximately 54m long by 7m wide, is thought to be a leat connecting the moat with a spring to the north.

The moated site may have been an earlier location of Tithe Farm, which is shown immediately to the north west on a parish map dating from 1770. The enlarged farm is depicted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch map, although it has long since been demolished leaving only the base of the tithe barn a short distance to the north west of the moat. The site of Tithe Farm and barn are not included in the scheduling.

Access to the island is by a post-medieval brick bridge across the south western arm of the moat.

The brick bridge, fences, corrugated iron, wooden sheds, metal and bricks and farm machinery are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath all these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
SMR Bucks: run 254, print 3076, RAF, (1946)
Title: 6" 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map Source Date: 1884 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: BRO
Title: Plan of the parish of Ivinghoe with the hamlet of Ivinghoe Aston Source Date: 1770 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: BRO Ma/116/5.R

National Grid Reference: SP 95474 18100

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016476 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 09:33:40.

End of official listing