Glebe Cottage moated site immediately south of Brook Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016785 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 20:51:56.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 37311 73673
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Glebe Cottage moated site survives well as a series of earthworks and buried deposits. The island's artificially raised ground will preserve evidence of land use prior to the construction of the moat. As one of a group of moated sites in a small area it contributes to an understanding of the inter- relationship of contemporary components of the medieval landscape.
The monument includes a medieval moated site located immediately to the south
east of Glebe Cottage. In 1086 the land at Brinkhill was in the possession of
earl Hugh, forming part of the land of the manor of Greetham. The monument is
one of three moated sites lying within a 400m radius in the village of
Brinkhill, each of which is the subject of separate scheduling.
The moated site includes a rectangular island enclosed by a broad moat with external banks. The island, measuring approximately 20m by 35m, is artificially raised above the surrounding ground level. The north eastern end of the island is further raised and is believed to represent a building platform. The moat, now dry, measures 8m to 10m in width and up to 2m deep and is lined, on the south eastern arm, by an external bank measuring 6m in width and standing 0.75m high. Water was formerly supplied to the moat via an inlet channel at the southern corner with an outlet channel provided at the eastern corner of the moat. A worn hollow on the outer edge of the north western moat arm is thought to indicate the location of an original access point.
All fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Foster, C W, Longley, T, The Lincolnshire Domesday and the Lincolnshire Survey, (1976)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing