This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Golden Camp hillfort

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Golden Camp hillfort

List entry Number: 1016889

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Probus

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 13-Dec-1929

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 29682

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Large univallate hillforts are defined as fortified enclosures of varying shape, ranging in size between 1ha and 10ha, located on hilltops and surrounded by a single boundary comprising earthworks of massive proportions. They date to the Iron Age period, most having been constructed and used between the fourth century BC and the first century AD, although evidence for earlier use is present at most sites. The size of the earthworks reflects the ability of certain social groups to mobilise the labour necessary for works on such a monumental scale, and their function may have had as much to do with display as defence. Large univallate hillforts are also seen as centres of redistribution, both for subsistence products and items produced by craftsmen. The ramparts are of massive proportions except in locations where steepness of slope precludes easy access. They can vary between 6m and 20m wide and may survive to a height of 6m. The ditches can measure between 6m and 13m wide and between 3m and 5m deep. Access to the interior is generally provided by one or two entrances which often take the form of long passages formed by inturned ramparts and originally closed by a gate located towards the inner end of the passageway. The entrance may be flanked by guardrooms and/or accompanied by outworks. Internal features included timber or stone round houses; large storage pits and hearths; scattered postholes, stakeholes and gullies; and square or rectangular buildings supported by four to six posts, often represented by postholes, and interpreted as raised granaries. Large univallate hillforts are rare with between 50 and 100 examples recorded nationally. Most are located within southern England where they occur on the chalklands of Wessex, Sussex and Kent. The western edge of the distribution is marked by scattered examples in north Somerset and east Devon, while further examples occur in central and western England and outliers further north. Within this distribution considerable regional variation is apparent, both in their size, rampart structure and the presence or absence of individual components. In view of the rarity of large univallate hillforts and their importance in understanding the organisation and regional structure of Iron Age society, all examples with surviving archaeological remains are believed to be of national importance.

The large univallate hillfort of Golden Camp has good preservation and survival of the greater part of its defensive circuit despite some reduction due to cultivation on its southern side. It will contain archaeological information relating to the construction and use of the site, the lives of the inhabitants, and the landscape in which they lived. Golden Camp is at the very extreme western range of this class of monument and is one of only a small number of examples in Cornwall. It is also unusual in being referred to in the medieval period, sources suggesting a later use for the monument long after it ceased to function as a prehistoric site.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a prehistoric large univallate hillfort known as Golden Camp, located on a south facing slope at the eastern end of a spur which overlooks the west bank of the River Fal. The defences enclose an irregular pear-shaped area of about 3.4ha which tapers to a blunted point at its eastern end; the wider and squarer western end has what is considered to be an original entrance through the defences. The interior of the hillfort has maximum dimensions of 290m east-west by 160m north-south and is defended by a single rampart and ditch which is well preserved over much of its circuit. The rampart, which is flat topped, has a considerable inner and outer scarp; it has an average height of 1.5m and achieves an average width of 10m where it survives best on the north and west sides, the southern side having been reduced by cultivation. The rampart is fronted by a `U'-shaped ditch which is on average 1.8m deep and 4.7m wide, but is wider and somewhat deeper along the western side where the ground is flatter; elsewhere it has been filled by cultivation. Several cuts through the rampart at various points on its circuit are considered to be relatively modern but a 10m wide causeway on the western side, where the ditch terminals inturn slightly, probably marks the site of the original entrance; this gap also has the advantage of facing the only reasonably level approach. Golden Camp is considered to have been occupied in the Iron Age but it is unclear whether this occupation would have continued after the establishment of the late pre-Roman Iron Age and Romano-British site at Carvossa some 1.5km to the north west. The monument may have been utilised for some unknown defensive function as late as the medieval period as it is mentioned in land deeds of the 12th and 13th century where it is described as a `small castle'.

All fencing and fence posts, gates and gate posts, are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Cornwall, (1906), 467-69
Borlase, W, Antiquities of Cornwall, (1769), 313
Gilbert, D, 'Parochial History of Cornwall' in , , Vol. III, (1838), 365-67
Henderson, C, 'Journal of the Royal Institute of Cornwall' in Ecclesiastical Antiquities, , Vol. 3.4, (1960), 419

National Grid Reference: SW 92454 46853

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 11:54:48.

End of official listing