This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Dovecote 85m south of Netherseal Old Hall

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Dovecote 85m south of Netherseal Old Hall

List entry Number: 1016949

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Netherseal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-Sep-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 29955

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Dovecotes are specialised structures designed for the breeding and keeping of doves as a source of food and as a symbol of high social status. Most surviving examples were built in the period between the 14th and the 17th centuries, although both earlier and later examples are documented. They were generally freestanding structures, square or circular in plan and normally of brick or stone, with nesting boxes built into the internal wall. They were frequently sited at manor houses or monasteries. Whilst a relatively common monument class (1500 examples are estimated to survive out of an original population of c.25,000), most will be considered to be of national interest, although the majority will be listed rather than scheduled. They are also generally regarded as an important component of local distinctiveness and character.

The standing and buried remains of Netherseal dovecote are particularly well preserved. It is a good example of a late 17th century dovecote, being unusual in terms of its shape and decorative detail. It also retains many of its original features, including the wooden potence and ladder. The interior, particularly the nesting boxes, the old ground surface beneath the dovecote and any sub-surface features will all retain important archaeological, ecofactual and environmental evidence. Taken as a whole, Netherseal dovecote will enhance our understanding of the construction and use of dovecotes in the area and their position in the wider landscape.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the standing and below ground remains of Netherseal dovecote, which stands on the south side of Church Street opposite Netherseal Old Hall. The dovecote, which is Listed Grade II*, was built in 1689 and forms an irregular hexagon in plan. It is constructed of red brick with vitrified headers. It has a blue brick plinth, a band of raised saw toothed bricks near the eaves and a moulded brick cornice. The roof is hipped and tiled with a central open wooden cupola, which also has a hipped conical roof. The only openings are in the north east face and include an inserted, flat- headed doorway and a small inserted window above it. There is also a similar window in the south east face. On the north west side the original doorway can be seen blocked up and above this is a date panel which reads RII 1686. The internal walls are lined with brick built nest boxes, each tier served by an alighting ledge which runs beneath it. Beneath each alighting ledge is a decorative, brick, saw toothed band. In the centre of the dovecote is a brick stand which supports the surviving potence and ladder. A potence is a revolving structure with a ladder attached which was used to collect eggs at all levels within the dovecote without having to touch the nests. The barns which abut the dovecote on the east and west sides, where they impinge on the monument's protective margin, are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 1 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 28975 12822

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016949 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 10:38:53.

End of official listing