This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site 200m west of St James' Church

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site 200m west of St James' Church

List entry Number: 1016995

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Quedgeley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 26-Nov-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32364

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site to the west of St James' Church survives relatively well and is unencumbered by later buildings. Buried deposits on the island will include the remains of medieval structures, and will contain archaeological information relating to the construction and subsequent occupation and use of the moated site. Within the moat, waterlogged deposits will preserve archaeological remains relating to the occupation and use of the site, along with organic material which will provide information about the economy of the site and the local environment during the medieval period. In addition the moated site is documented from the 13th century complementing the well- preserved remains.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated site on low lying ground 200m west of St James' Church. It is visible as a sub-rectangular, four-armed moat, enclosing an island measuring about 52m by 44m, orientated north west-south east. The moat is water filled throughout the year, 10m wide at its widest point and about 1m deep to water level. A slightly raised area on the island is believed to contain the buried remains of buildings. The moat is thought to have been the site of Woolstrop Manor house, which was first recorded in the mid-13th century. In 1672 a William Hayward had a house with 11 hearths in Woolstrop, and in the early 18th century it was described as a `pleasant seat'. During the later 18th century a new house was built to the north west of the original site, and the moat was abandoned. All fences and the modern sluice in the north west corner of the moat are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Herbert, N M, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucestershire - Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds, (1972), 218-219

National Grid Reference: SO 80513 14153

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016995 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 06:46:01.

End of official listing